• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5k Deluxe or Striker?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nalco

Registered
I had pretty much decided on a Striker, but after more research the boards seem to hit and miss (Same with the nforce 680i SLI). There seems to be a lot of people having nightmares with them.

This is what I was looking at, and now its just a matter of deciding which MoBo to get.

Ultra Black Aluminus ATX Mid-Tower Case
Ultra X3 1000-Watt PSU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz
Ultra ChillTec CPU Cooloer
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4

I have heard that RAM compatibility is sketchy in Asus boards, but the above RAM is supposed to work in both the Striker and the P5K.

I also haven't picked an HDD. I am not at all familiar with SATA and Raid, so I have to research some more before picking a SATA. So any help with that is appreciated as well.

I like the idea of SLI, but I would ditch that for stability.

What to do? P5k, or Striker?

Thanks!

Why are you getting a 1000w PSU? That system should run fine with a 500-600w.

I haven't tried the Stryker, but I've been very pleased with the P5K Deluxe.

Why go with the Stryker with an older chipset when you can get the P5K Deluxe for less plus newer chipset? I don't see the reason at all.

I'd definitely go for the P5K over the Striker

I also agree that the 1000W PSU isn't needed. But I guess if you have the money to spare it's not going to hurt anything. :shrug:

Thank you very much for the replies!

Thanks to all your input, I have come up with a new config. How does this sound?

OCZ GameXStream 700-Watt Power Supply
P5K Deluxe WiFi
Ultra Chilltec
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC2-8500

Still haven't decided on an HDD yet, that is next.

Take a look @ the corsair 620hx more amps on the 12rail for a psu is a good thing =) .
Very nice ram =)
What is the ultra chiiltec link please ? (might suggest a different hsf )
You plan on overclocking right ? If so a e6420 will take you as far as you will be able to go on air or water and save some $ . If you can waite for 20 days teh new G0 steppings will be out and these look like the will be cooler and oc farther .

I got scared about undershooting the PSU. The 8800 GTX seems to need alot of power on its own. *Shrugs*

I will take a look at the one you suggested though.

Here are some links to the Ultra ChillTec

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2353734

One of many reviews:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/491/1/

EDIT: I looked at the Corsair 620hx. It reviews extremely well. There are people running dual 8800 GTX's with this thing no problem.
Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the replies!!

Last edited:
OK, I think I have a final build here, lemme know your thoughts.

CORSAIR 620HX PSU
Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi MoBo
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz CPU
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler with a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm fan
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFDRTL 150GB SATA
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX

All stuffed into a Ultra Black Aluminus ATX Mid-Tower Case

Hows that looking?

OK, final build it is.

Thank you very much for all your help!!!!

Nalco said:
Thank you very much for the replies!

Thanks to all your input, I have come up with a new config. How does this sound?

OCZ GameXStream 700-Watt Power Supply
P5K Deluxe WiFi
Ultra Chilltec
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3

Still haven't decided on an HDD yet, that is next.

Is there not an incompatability with 8800 GTX (SLI) and P5K (Crossfire)? I too am looking at the P5K Deluxe MB but most ATI cards are resistant to much overclocking. Therefore, I would also be looking at an 8800 GTX or something similar.

yea the p5k is a crossfire board and that is ati only

you can run a single nvidia card but you cant run sli

the striker extreme has the 680i chipset IIRC but will require some work if you plan to watercool later (mosfet sinks are gonna be a must unless you put a fan onto their mosfet heatsinks

Dwight Fry said:
Is there not an incompatability with 8800 GTX (SLI) and P5K (Crossfire)? I too am looking at the P5K Deluxe MB but most ATI cards are resistant to much overclocking. Therefore, I would also be looking at an 8800 GTX or something similar.

The only incompatabilty is the Nvidia drivers. The drivers check to see what chipset you are running, if its not Nvidia they don't allow SLI. There are hacked drivers out to allow running of SLI on non-nvidia chipsets.

Shelnutt2 said:
The only incompatabilty is the Nvidia drivers. The drivers check to see what chipset you are running, if its not Nvidia they don't allow SLI. There are hacked drivers out to allow running of SLI on non-nvidia chipsets.

but that voids warranties

If you haven't bit the bullet consider waiting on the e6750. It'll be a whole cheaper, and should OC much better.

If you can handle the dBs then strap two (Panaflo FBA12G12U - 12V DC, 120x38mm, 3pin, 6.12watts, 2750rpm, 114cfm, 46dBA) to your Ultra-120 extreme.

Back