• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA Reoccurring BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This was totally triggered by the driver updates. I use acronis to back up my drives but SURPRISE can't create a bootable media without the software. This anniversary update has completely crippled me in terms of repair, since all of my go tos for startup problems give me various errors.

From another computer, use the Windows Media Creation tool to create an installer and then reinstall Windows 10. Since you already have had Windows 10 installed on the computer, you will not even need to enter a product key. Just tell the installer to skip that when it asks for it. Once Windows is installed it will automatically activate the install once it is able to communicate with the Microsoft server where the record of your motherboard ID is kept.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

I'm not too keen on losing everything with a fresh install just because of a driver issue. It's telling me I can only keep my files if I reinstall from the desktop itself. How do I access system restore if the computer can't boot? The installation media just tells me to power on the computer and choose advanced at the OS selection, but I never have an OS selection. It just boots to a blue screen by default every time.

Seems like your only choice is to remove the hard drive, put it in a USB cradle or enclosure and connect it to another machine to pull the data off. Then do a clean install.

Wont that just involve me reinstalling the drivers that caused my original issue? And if its the memory failing I still won't know what the original BSOD was caused by. On that list of programs that were potential suspects I will need to have them all reinstalled to continue using my computer.

Some of those drivers were in excess of six years old (Logitech Wingman WmXlCore.sys), are they actually safe and stable with W10? Just avoid as many of those older drivers as you can post-install, if there are no W10 drivers from the maker, try connecting the peripherals and hope W10 has later/safer drivers.

As for software drivers (SpeedFan etc.), get the latest version you can find but only install/enable them when you need to.

istari,

I guess I don't understand where you are getting the drivers from. I would give priority to the drivers that come with Windows 10 natively. I would not use drivers from the manufacturer's website or third party drivers unless there aren't any already built into Winows 10. Windows 10 will have native drivers for most popular hardware components that were produced in the last several years. It would not have drivers for very old and very new hardware components. I would not replace these native drivers with manufacturer or third party drivers unless the ones coming with Windows 10 don't work properly.

I'm not sure what that Wingman driver is, but the only Logitech hardware I use is a keyboard, and a steering wheel and pedal. The steering wheel is old, I believe it is the Driving Force GT or something like that, but I only bought it a year or two ago, and I installed the latest drivers when I purchased it.

EDIT: I might have gone directly to the manufacturers website when I installed it though, but I cant imagine they would have 6 year old drivers considering I bought it because of a review on PCGamer from that year.

Is this a from scratch install of Windows 10 or an upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1?

Its much better than that. This is actually an OS that was originally 7, and upgraded to 8, and then 8.1, and then 10, all without ever making a fresh image. It actually went through like 3 different mobo models as well. I really never wanted to resort to a fresh install, but at the moment this is the first time I have ever had a problem I couldent iron out on my own without a reinstall.

Well, the fact that you have built OS on top of OS and changed motherboards three times is, by itself IMO, sufficient reason to do a clean install. Any of the veterans here will tell you that the in place upgrading of operating systems often sets the stage for trouble down the road.

Well I will need to do a fresh install when I get home today, but was able to boot to another device to backup all my files so I wont lose much. Hopefully I wont need to install anything with non microsoft drivers, or else I am worried I will continue running into these blue screens.

When you begin the Windows 10 install, have all your peripherals plugged in. However, disconnect any storage devices (external or internal) besides the system drive. Sometimes Windows will install some system files on other drives if they are connected during installation.

Is it still a smart idea to leave the page file on a HDD when your boot drive is on an SSD?

Is it still a smart idea to leave the page file on a HDD when your boot drive is on an SSD?

If your page file is on a spinner HDD then you are sacrificing performance if your system drive is an SSD, assuming your SSD has sufficient space to accommodate the page file.

Ya know?.....stacked OSes and 3 mobo changes without having done a fresh install, this OS we love to b!@#$% and moan about is pretty damned resilient ;)

Back