• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

painted my motherboard *PICS*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
High temp paint on the hot bits to help reduce noxious smells - good idea.
Engine enamel might be a better choice than BBQ paint since it comes in a variety of colors.

Though I am curious how the insulative properties of the paint would effect overclockability
and longevity or the unit.

^^^ very true - think lowfat said the board was used anyway.
My concern was for those who might consider painting their newer boards
which may still be under warranty.

Hey lowfat, good job! I was the guy who painted his mobo gold. You can see in the picture posted that there were lots of spots that didn't get painted (like where there was some over taping, etc.) What you can do is get a small jar, spray lots of paint in it (so it is still liquid) and use a brush to touch up. That's what I did.

Oh yea, my mobo never had any problems.

Good to hear it worked out well Tay. :)
I remember some having reservations about the metallic gold paint and conductivity when you 1st
presented the project. Guess you proved that isn't a major concern.

Tay said:
Hey lowfat, good job! I was the guy who painted his mobo gold. You can see in the picture posted that there were lots of spots that didn't get painted (like where there was some over taping, etc.) What you can do is get a small jar, spray lots of paint in it (so it is still liquid) and use a brush to touch up. That's what I did.

Oh yea, my mobo never had any problems.

I can't notice most of the parts now that they are occupied, so i don't think i am going to worry about it.

I covered up all the mosfets with tape before i painted, and capacitors don't really get that hot. I touch them, they are still very cool.

Here is a pic of what it looks like in my system, which still works :)
Picture042Large.jpg

Dang... Your crazy dude. Then again I'll probally go nuts with stuff like this once I have a job lol. Paint inside my case, weld together a box instead of a wooden one, paint everything shinny black.

Wow, I didn't even know this was possible! Congrats on the cojones to even try such a mod.

thats...NEW...

Havent you seen people use the gel pens on the solder? i think it really adds whats missing in most PC Mods, DETAIL. kind of like a centerpeice of interest.

MadSkillzMan said:
thats...NEW...

Havent you seen people use the gel pens on the solder? i think it really adds whats missing in most PC Mods, DETAIL. kind of like a centerpeice of interest.

I love the look with Gel Pens, but when trying it myself I've always had a problem with it. It never seems to dry. The gel will not soak into the PCB, and it will not dry. It looks great until dust starts to collect on the wet gel. Anyone have a source for a pen that dries?

- Jim

As far as I know, in order to clearcoat over another type of ink/gel/paint, said ink/gel/paint needs to be dry. The look is great, if I could find a paint that would dry on a pcb.

- Jim

kayson said:
Yeah. Conductive paint would really kill your mobo. Although that would be interesting. Every piece on the mobo would be connected to every other one. Sounds like something for the hardware destruction thread.

I'd love to see what would happen there!!

hahaha :santa:

I did the same thing about a year ago to my mobo. I got the idea from Tay and his treasure chest computer. I made sure I taped up everything I didn't want paint to get on like connections/heatsinks, and I used Rustoleum clear coat enamel FIRST. This is nonconductive so it didn't matter what I painted with next. I used Rustoleum Metal based blue next and then the clear coat enamel back on top. Even if the metal based blue was conductive it doesn't matter. It's sealed between layers of nonconductive paint.

Beaware, when you REMOVE THE PAINT to make sure you get your jumpers back. I completely forgot when I took off my tape and inside the masking tape was the jumpers. Talk about being a moron :bang head

Back