• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Parallel Ram Loop Changing tube size

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CMart

Registered
I am still on the fence about it but i kinda want to experiment with this. Has anyone tried switching their tubing to a lower gauge after you split the flow with parallel. I was hoping some experience might explain if it's ok to do and if any there would be any benefits to doing this. I understand flow rate is pretty constant but I've read forums about the idea of more or less faking a higher flow rate by restricting it with a smaller tubing. Check out the diagram below and tell me wha'cha thing.

Parallel RAM Diagram

I’m just thinking outside the box a little here but from my thinking in this situation reducing the size of the tube could help.

If you were to go from 12mm to 12mm the flow will want to go mostly straight forward. However if you go from 12mm to 10mm you will encourage more fluid to flow into the block instead of following the path of least resistance. If you follow my thinking.

My only other worry (which may be unfounded) with the set up you showed is that you have two outlets converging on one another. Which is that you have the outlet from both the blocks meeting in the middle and going into a single tube. If the flow rate and pressure is not equal from both blocks I can see a potential that the fluid will be restricted from one of the blocks as fluid will be pushing against itself to go into the single outlet tube.

I’m just thinking outside the box a little here but from my thinking in this situation reducing the size of the tube could help.

If you were to go from 12mm to 12mm the flow will want to go mostly straight forward. However if you go from 12mm to 10mm you will encourage more fluid to flow into the block instead of following the path of least resistance. If you follow my thinking.

My only other worry (which may be unfounded) with the set up you showed is that you have two outlets converging on one another. Which is that you have the outlet from both the blocks meeting in the middle and going into a single tube. If the flow rate and pressure is not equal from both blocks I can see a potential that the fluid will be restricted from one of the blocks as fluid will be pushing against itself to go into the single outlet tube.
Also if anything i want more flow in right set of ram considering they are the first in the que to be used.

Ok something to think about. I am trying to mimic a parallel block you would see if you got one for 2 graphics cards. they usually put the merging point close to the farther away block from the entrance (see link below). I was hoping putting like a 6mm or 16mm spacer before the t split would set the flows & pressure correctly to prevent irregular flows in 1 or the other water blocks.

EKWB EK-FC Terminal TRIPLE Parallel

Last edited:
Back