• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Partial upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

disk11

I think it is finally time to upgrade my Bloomfield rig. Don’t really have a budget at this time, but I’m not doing a wholesale upgrade either. I’m still in research phase, so feel free to suggest other products.

The big use for my PC will be gaming. I plan to OC, but too too much. As of right now, I can play any game I want and not have any issues. Lightly playing D3, with plans to finally start Tomb Raider and awaiting the next Starcraft expansion. No other big, high resource games on my radar at the moment.

I will be carrying over the following parts for sure:
AMD 7870
Curcial M4 128GB
Crucial M500 256GB (OS)
Dell U2412M
Windows 7
Optical drive (some LG DVD-RW)

Not so sure about whether to keep these:

Noctua U12P-SE: I think I can buy a conversion kit so it is compatible with the 1150 socket. I don’t see much in the air cooling market that will do much better without spending a lot of money.

Asus Xonar DX (PCI-E): I would imagine most onboard audio is just as good or better since this is pretty old now, but willing to re-use. I use Sennheiser HD555 headphones exclusively.

Cooler Master CM690 II extreme: will try to order the replacement top panel with USB 3.0 headers. I really love the tray to mount disk drives, so a new case would need something similar.

What I’m eyeballing:

Intel Core i5-4690K: definitely sticking with Intel, and some “K” variant

ASRock Z97 Extreme6

Gskill Ares 8GB 2133 kit (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231554)

PSU: SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM

What I’m eyeballing:

Intel Core i5-4690K: definitely sticking with Intel, and some “K” variant

ASRock Z97 Extreme6

Gskill Ares 8GB 2133 kit (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231554)

PSU: SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM

Perfect! Wouldn't change a thing there!

I would agree with just getting the kit from Noctua for your cooler.
They'll send it for free with an invoice showing you have an LGA1150 CPU and/or motherboard.

I would try the onboard sound first to see how it sounds on your headset.
The Extreme6 has an awesome audio section.
If it doesn't quite do what you want go ahead and toss in the Asus.

That case should work just fine for the new build, unless you just want something else

Edit: hello to a fellow Charlotte member!

Last edited:
Those are the parts I would probably have recommended. Good choices. You should be able to make some coin off your bloomfield CPU/mobo. Or you can repurpose them for a server or HTPC. A bit overpowered for an HTPC or server, IMO... that's more Core 2 Duo territory IMO.

It's too bad you can't keep your bloomfield system intact and do a wholesale update and build a whole other rig, then you'd have two computers.

Back