• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Passive radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I am currently planning changes to my Prodigy /mATX rig.

I am possibly (unless i get side swiped by something i like better) going to buy the Node 804 case.

It has what i want (almost) in the shape of water cooling options.

What i am considering is a passive 280mm rad, to sit in the top in the side of the case where the motherboard it. Due to space, and me being anal about certain things, only a 280mm in a passive configuration will be possible.

The whole loop should be apart from the 280 top rad.
1x 240 - 50/60mm - Push/pull (GT AP-15)
1x 280 - Monsta 80mm - Push/pull
Maybe a 120mm?

It will be cooling the setup from my second rig but with SLi 670.
So i5 2500k @ 5ghz + 2x GTX670 with EK blocks.

The question is, would placing a passive rad above the motherboard, help, or would it just warm up the water from the hot hardware below it?

It will get warmer. Since the radiator radiates heat, with all your water cooled components the heat has to end somewhere and since it will be passive, it will get much warmer internally and than add the build up of warmth from the other components overtime.

Have you taken a look at this case? They added a section for a 240 rad. I could see a nice CPU + GPU loop in a custom loop. I would go with a 240mm rad Mid-High FPI (or even take a look at Black Ice's new Nemesis GTX240), a single 5 1/2" bay reservoir with the optional of a DDC pump installation (MCP-35x) and tubing of a nice small but clean size as well as compression fittings. That would be my ideal rig for a Mini-ITX setup.

Nonetheless both cases are great and after paying more attention to the case you linked (Node 804), it seems to me, that might give you more water cooling options than the case I linked above. But again the setup possibilities are great, especially whats out in the market these days.

The Corsair wont be of any use to me. Its an ITX, this is mATX build.

As far pump an so on, it'll be the same from the prodigy, not gonna buy all new loop parts just to swap a build form one case to another.

The passive rad was an idea, but as i thought, not much use for it.

I should be fine with 1x 240 and then the 280 Monsta, and maybe one or 2x120mm id needed later.

Back