• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patriot viper 3 black mamba wont run 1866 (rated)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rickler

I have a new setup and my ram wont run the speed its rated for. I have a gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 (rev3) running an amd fx 6300 am3+ with my Patriot viper 3 black mamba 1866 ram.

from what i have read so many people do infact get 1866 with my board and cpu, but im beginning to think its only capable of doing so with only 2 dimms of ram (im running 4 4gb sticks @1600)
every time i try and set the bios to run it at 1866 via adjusting the memory multiplier or timings or if i enable XMP it fails to boot and resets to previous setting. I can run the ram with its timings (stated on ram) without fail so long as i stay at 1600mhz, i could try to remove 2 dimms and see if i get my 1866mhz but my giant heatsink and fans make that difficult.

after further investigating the specs for my motherboard state it will only support memory speeds faster than 1600mhz with only 1 dimm per channel WITH the AM3 series processor, so with a processor upgrade i could achieve my 1866mhz?, I'm trying to get the most out of my board but i believe the am3 processors are the best i can equip with it?

any input would be greatly appreciated, at the moment it would seem that the only boost past 1600mhz would be through my FSB, and i plan to overclock with my cpu multiplier, i seen some people with my processor run 4ghz+ stable with my 3.5ghz cpu

I don't think this would be the answer since your ram runs fine at stock timings @ 1600MHz, but there is no harm in trying to run MemTest and just verify that everything is ok. On my last build I had the same ram and I ran it at around 2048MHz 24/7 with absolutely no problems. Although I had a slightly different setup, Asus Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard, AMD FX-8350 cpu. When I first received my ram from newegg I could not get it to boot with more than 2 of the 8gb sticks in my mb. I ended up having to RMA the set and send it back and a month later and they told me I had faulty ram. So memtest would be good just to rule that out.

As far as your motherboard,
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3894#ov
it states that you can run up to 2000MHz for your ram.

And for a 6core FX cpu I highly doubt that would stop you from running your ram at 1866mhz.

Double check your bios settings, from what I see the timings for your set of ram are:
Timings: 9-10-9-27

I would try those timings and try to reboot, if it still does not boot try taking off your cpu overlock if you have it overclocked.

(Also...)
Check and make sure you BIO's is updated to the newest version and that all your drivers and utilities are current and from this website,
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3894#dl

Also here is the list they have for supported memory:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3894#memory support list

Hope that helps,
Let me know what happens!

-SnowBiz!

Back