• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Paypal dispute: odds for seller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was on the other side of this coin a few months back. I bought a used CPU/Mobo combo from a "reputable" seller (he had over 1000 transactions with all positive feedback). I recieved the wrong item and tried to contact him. Ebay blocked all my attempts to email him stating that the user didn't accept direct contact or something to that effect. My only recourse was to list the item as "not as described". He wanted me to ship it back at my cost, but I refused and told him once I recieved my refund along with a shipping label I'd send it. He refunded the money with no shipper and Ebay closed the case. I still have the CPU/Mobo with no where to send it, my gain I guess. I really wish it would have been handled better on his part. I understand mistakes happen, but the burden ($) should be on who ever made the mistake. In my case the seller, in other cases no doubt it'll be the buyer.

I decided to close my PP account, they don't really need my business, and quite frankly I don't need my money to be in the hands of a business with such a cavalier attitude towards its customers. Too bad, PP is so handy for receiving/sending payments to individuals.

Google Wallet, the FAQ says you can send/receive money via gmail. Hmm, also says " This feature is still rolling out to US Gmail users"....I'll be watching.

logo-1_sm_0.png

In all seriousness, I often buy items through eBay and I've yet to have a problem. That said, I often read about eBay poorly handling these situations and I know it's a ticking time bomb. I think the best course of action is to try to buy and sell low(er) value items on eBay where a dispute doesn't royally screw you. Keep the big value items on OCF, or craigslist where at least you can see someone face to face and get the terms right out in the open.

Back