• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Upgrade question for AM2+ board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrjspeed

Hello,

My friend has commissioned me in upgrading his system. He plays the new Star Wars game and wanted a better experience.

He had an AMD HD 4850 512MB and upgraded to a HD 7950 3GB. He is claiming that the frame rate isn't much better and that his computer is "still slow".

Here is his current CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 Brisbane 2.8GHz (dual core)
Here is his current MOBO: BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX A2+ AM2+/AM2 (cpu support listed HERE)

Since he bought the motherboard, there has been a bios update to support Deneb CPUs. The best CPU this motherboard officially supports is the AMD Phenom II X4 940, or x945 - a 3Ghz Quad core that most online retailers don't sell at a reasonable price. The only place I have found it is on Ebay used.

My question: AMD sells some decently clocked AM3 Denebs. I'm interested in this one: AMD Phenom II X4 980. I realize that it isn't on the official CPU support list, but would it work? When I compare it to the compatible 945 (HDX945WFK4DGI), it is essentially identical other than the clock speed. Has anyone with this motherboard (or any for that matter) been able to use a processor in the same family outside of the supported list?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

OUCH. Thats an ancient CPU. What resolution does he game at?

If its not on the support list, I wouldnt do it. Get the best one out there thats on the list is my suggestion.

OUCH. Thats an ancient CPU. What resolution does he game at?

If its not on the support list, I wouldnt do it. Get the best one out there thats on the list is my suggestion.

he just recently upgraded his 1280x1024 monitor to a 1080p ASUS, so now its at 1920x1080.

I found this thread here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625117

this guy has the same mobo and a X4 965 working. From what I read, it seems the processor runs fine but isn't very overclockable due to "power plane" limitations. My friend isn't interested in overclocking, so if I had knowledge of the 980 CPU being able to run at stock clocks, I'd get it for him.

That risk is up to you. I wouldnt do it. Get the best supported processor.

+1. CPUs not officially supported will often run but at greatly throttled speed because the motherboard plays it safe and treats it as a generic CPU. If you run an AM3 CPU the motherboard will shave some off the HT Link an CPUNB frequencies as those are lower with AM2+ than AM3 (1800 mhz vs. 2000 mhz.). Not a huge performance penalty in and of itself, however.

You may be better off getting a AM3+ board with say a FX-6100 and 8gig mem. mem is dirt cheep, you could do that upgrade there for under $400.
Microcenter
Asus crosshair V formula $179
FX-6100- $140
Corsair Vengeance Series 8GB DDR3-1600 - $55
total- $369

But thats if your friend wants to do it. You could go with a lower priced mobo, but what ever CPu you put into his AM2+ board is going to be bottle necked with that vid card.

+1. CPUs not officially supported will often run but at greatly throttled speed because the motherboard plays it safe and treats it as a generic CPU. If you run an AM3 CPU the motherboard will shave some off the HT Link an CPUNB frequencies as those are lower with AM2+ than AM3 (1800 mhz vs. 2000 mhz.). Not a huge performance penalty in and of itself, however.

That's a good point, I didn't really think about that. You could have a CPU running at the right clock but with handicapped features it may not be worth it.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think we will probably look at a MOBO/CPU/MEM upgrade.

Back