• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pc disaster . Desperate need of help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikesamo

Hello forum i just finished putting together my coffee lake build here are the specs
I7 8700k
Taichi z370 mb
16 gb evga ddr4v
And a 1200i pay
When attempting to turn it on nothing happens. The led on the board lights up when the pc I's plugged in
I tried the paper clip method and all I get is a clicking sound from the psu followed by coil whine. I tried setting up the board on the mb box and the problem remains.
Unplugging everything and using the paperclip turns on the power supply with no problems. Can anyone help . Is it possible that the board is dead

Is there a CPU fan header with a fan attached? Also, try starting with only one stick of RAM installed. These are the first couple of things I check when I encounter issues such as yours.

Is there a CPU fan header with a fan attached? Also, try starting with only one stick of RAM installed. These are the first couple of things I check when I encounter issues such as yours.

Rob, all Mike gets is a clicking sound. Psu tested works, board however gives no life signals (beeps or a partial start-up). Board is definitely ded, but anything is possible.

Im going to guess DOA board.

While you are at it though, return that psu for something reasonable for the build. Assuming sli titans are going over there, a quality 850w unit will be fine. :)

Guys the board is alive and kicking . I called tech support for asrock and they had me short the power headers with a pen. I guess I didn't plug those correctly but it works now

It's very easy to install the front panel connectors incorrectly on the motherboard pin block.

It's very easy to install the front panel connectors incorrectly on the motherboard pin block.

Thankfully it's sorted out but I'm still having issues. My 4 tb hard drive is not being detected. I'll have to check but everything's well

Do you have an M.2 drive?
Are you sure the drive has power and data plugged in properly?
Which port is it plugged into, 0/1 I presume? Read the manual to confirm you have it plugged in the right ports which do not need a driver.

IIRC, that motherboard has 8 SATA ports. Only 6 come from the chipset and will work without the ASMedia driver (found on the web page for that motherboard). All in the manual bud... :)

EDIT: From the specs page on the website................................

- 6 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 15), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug*
- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
- 2 x Ultra M.2 Sockets (M2_1 and M2_2), support M Key type 2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)**
- 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_3), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)**

*M2_1, SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.
M2_2, SATA3_4 and SATA3_5 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.
If M2_3 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_3 will be disabled.

Bolded the important parts just in case...

Is your 4 TB drive external USB or internal SATA? Is this a system drive or a storage drive? If it's an internal drive have you initialized it yet? Until you do, the system won't see it. This would need to be done for a brand new internal drive.

What is a "1200i pay" that is mentioned in your first post?

I took it as a typo for "1200i psu". In case he wants to weld while running benches, 'cause an AX 1200i while do nicely for both tasks.

And, yeah, diskpart from a cmd window for the drive, unless there is a setting in the BIOS for large drives? I thought that went away a long time ago.This thread might be helpful. I tried some GPT nonsense the first time, no end of grief. I would recommend setting up the storage drive in a way other Windows OS' can see the darn thing, for potential data recovery down the road. Just in case.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/775698-Windows-7-doesn-t-see-my-storage-drive/

Last edited:
Is your 4 TB drive external USB or internal SATA? Is this a system drive or a storage drive? If it's an internal drive have you initialized it yet? Until you do, the system won't see it. This would need to be done for a brand new internal drive.

That was a typo . It's internAL I have the sata aND the power plugged into it . Nothingseen. However it is brand new what shouldI do

Answer ALL the questions from my post is a start... ;)

Any m.2 drives?

If it is in the chipset ports, the drive may need to be initialized from another pc, though, typically they are already initialized...so.. what port did you plug it into?

Cant help if you arent answering those offering the assistance. :)

Last edited:
Take your 4TB drive to a PC shop and ask them to check if it is initialized and to do that if not.

Make sure you don't connect the 4 TB SATA cable into SATA3_A1 or SATA3_A2 if it is the boot drive. Those two ports are controlled by the Asmedia controller which may not be active until you are already in Windows where it can have access to drivers. Connect the boot drive to SATA3_0.

Attachments

• SATA_3.PNG
    SATA_3.PNG
    24.8 KB · Views: 66
  • SATA_2.PNG
    SATA_2.PNG
    29.8 KB · Views: 60
  • SATA.PNG
    SATA.PNG
    21.6 KB · Views: 53
Well, that put what I already said on a silver platter for the guy! There is something to be said for teaching a man to fish as opposed to giving fish out...

Before I would take the drive anywhere, I would check the ports as I said and Trents showed.

And still not answering my questions...:p

Thanks for the responses guy's and sorry for the late answers I'm at work . I'll read the thread that ED put up and see what I can do .

Back