• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC-DL 800 FSB Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey guys. I've got access to a couple of Xeon 2.4's and i'm now really considering snapping them up with a PC-DL motherboard. However I was uncertain about doing this because I was wondering what the cooling requirements would be like, and what speed we would be likely to see out of the system if only air was used. I haven't got the extra cash for water cooling so what would you recommend? If anything...

Cheers guys.

Here's a link to my simple cooling solution. All I'm using is the standard retail HS/Fan setup, a couple of $2 60mm to 80mm fan adapters, and some $5 Cooler Master 2500 RPM 80mm fans.

Thanks very much mate, I dont mind getting a hacksaw out if it saves me hundreds of £'s :)

Hopefully will get this up and running soon :)

mateo said:
Great to hear it can be done through jumpers :) Makes life easier when tweaking.

Audio, just so I get my hardware logic straight, you needed to flip-flop from 0-1 to 1-0? When I went to get to 133 it was a 0-0 to 0-1, so it was quite a simple flick of the pin out of the way (well, not so simple, but you know what I mean ;) ). Makes sense since 133 is 0-1 and has no reason to change from that...

800/200fsb = H,L or 1,0

533/133fsb = L,H or 0,1

Your AB3 is nomally L/0 and the AA3 is normally H/1

What the BESL mod does is to force AA3 low by connecting it to the already low AA2 with the wire in the socket. The AB3 is normally low from the ground connection to that pin but if you insulate/isolate it from the socket, the signal floats to high state.

If it were me, I'd just do the jumper setting techneque. KISS is the best way IMHO.

jw, how many ppl have done this? don't wanna drop 500 dollars on this and find out it dosn't work.....

that 'n I just switch a jumper? thats it?.......sounds to easy.. ^^

I'm not aware of a single failure when using 2.4/533 M0s or D1s. Anything higher clocked is doubtful.

how to I guarantee that the code goes with M0s or D1s, er, well, what codes designate them ^^, so I know what to look for

MLMIB said:
how to I guarantee that the code goes with M0s or D1s, er, well, what codes designate them ^^, so I know what to look for

Best way to guarantee codes would be to buy the cpus from a local computer store or from a computer show. Writing down the appropriate S-specs for the M0 cpu you want before going shopping is helpful too, http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...e=ALL&PkgType=ALL&btnFOS=Filter+on+selections

Wish there was a place online selling the 2.0GHz M0 cpu :drool:

Well my P4 system has now been dismantled and i'm awaiting my Xeon system parts. Managed to get 2x Xeon 2.4GHz D1's for £75 each, a new PC-DL and a 460W PSU. If this works like I hope it will, then this thread should surely be a sticky, as it's one of the best value/performance options for SMP (I wouldnt even go as far to say it was a mod either! So easy!).

Full credit to Mooseifert, i'll let you know when i've built it and what happens :)

Also out of curiousity DaveB, what voltage are you using? And what sort of temperatures do you get? I'm trying my best to get a pair of Xeon standard retail heatsinks, but are there any other heatsinks for Xeon that are better? (Other than the Swiftech things that cost loads). The Xeons i've bought havent got heatsinks with them so i've got room for options.

Any opinions appreciated :)

The Pol.

Vcore is at 1.56V using the 1.6V socket wire mod. I've done the VDIMM mod and have it set at 3.4V for my BH-6 and BH-5 DDR. I set it at 2.9V when I'm running PC4000 DDR. Cooling is via retail 2.4 GHz Xeon Heatsinks with modded 60mm to 80mm adapters so I can use quiet 2500 RPM 80mm fans. The stock 60mm fans cool fine, but get a little loud when they go to 50000 RPM under max load. Temps are around 40C at idle, and go to 55C or so under 100% load. The VRM temp goes almost to 60C under max load.

I'll have to second that! My Vcore is at 1.564v (Windows) and I have my Vdimm set to 2.9v for my PC4000 OCZ Gold. Cooling is 30/29/31 @ Idle thanks to the Koolance setup.

fieldski

Thanks guys. I'm not worried about noise so i'll investigate which solutions are available.

Can you not simply set the core voltage in BIOS?

Polariz^ said:
Thanks guys. I'm not worried about noise so i'll investigate which solutions are available.

Can you not simply set the core voltage in BIOS?

Unfortunately you can't.....I know it really sucks.....But you can easily do the Vcore mod
here with minimal effort.

fieldski

Ooer that does suck. Ok, I take it the VID pin mod is relatively safe? Wouldn't want to kill it on the first day of receiving my equipment :D

Wow, you are a real man. Only real men break pins off of a xeon to get a better clock... Amazing. I invite you to join FAPLOKAP: Federal Association of Pirates, Luberjacks, and Other Kick-*** People.

pwnt by pat said:
Wow, you are a real man. Only real men break pins off of a xeon to get a better clock... Amazing. I invite you to join FAPLOKAP: Federal Association of Pirates, Luberjacks, and Other Kick-*** People.

[Chuckle] Huh, what? [/Chuckle] :eh?:

For the same reason I don't touch a hot stove or walk into highway traffic, will I ever break pins of an expensive CPU.

Yup my new Xeons turned up this morning, and I had to pretty much sell my P4 2.8 system, some other bits and bobs, and one of my kidneys to afford them. Sticking bits of wire in the socket is about my limit, but breaking em off I draw the line at :D

Back