• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC keeps crashing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ObliviousLight

It seems my PC likes to crash randomly during games, or sometimes even on it's own. I've been trying to fix it and nothing has worked. I think it has something to do with my hardware.

here are my Specs

Motherboard: ga-78lmt-usb3
1tb hard drive
2 4gbs ddr3 ram
geforce gtx 950
AMD fx 8350 black edition 8 core
500w power supply

Someone please help me with this, it's incredibly frustrating.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and if it helps im running windows 10 and the error code i get all the time is DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Could be a couple things.
1) That board. No wheres near enough phases for an 8 core FX.
2) You don't mention cooling solution or temp at all.
3) You don't mention what PSU other than 500w.

Problem is power delivery or heat.

What is he revision number of the motherboard?

What CPU cooler are you using?

What is the make and age of your PSU?

Is the CPU overclocked at all?

What is the make and model of your case and tells us about the fan arrangement. Number, size and placement of fans. Want to get some idea about ventilation conditions in your case.

But Mr. Scott is right. That CPU is probably overwhelming the power delivery system of the motherboard when you are gaming. That motherboard is technically compatible with that CPU but not robust enough to stand up over time with intense use.

But concerning your error code, there is a free program called Who Crashed that can give some insight into what's causing the crash.

I would also test the RAM with memtest86 or the built in Windows RAM testing utility. Type "Windows Memory Diaginostic" in the Windows Search window.

Last edited:
I'm new to this kind of stuff, I'm not overclocking it as I do not know how to. Thermaltake TR2 TR-500 500W is my PSU. As for cooler I'm just using the case fans on my Corsair Carbide spec-03 and as for the revision number, I have no idea how to check.

- - - Updated - - -

As for my case, I have 2 fans. but only one works as my motherboard sucks, and only have one fan plugin. I tried finding a splitter for it but I can't find one. Is there any settings in the bios I can use to limit my CPU's power consumption? and to fix this problem?

So....
stock cooler
1 working fan
10 year old tier 3 spec PSU
underregulated board

Best suggestion without costing you any money......turn off half the cores.

If it's been in use for a while, you may want to try taking the heatsink off giving it a good cleaning, bet it's dirty and put some new thermal paste on it. Also download Cpu-Z and post pics using the inform hosting tool of the following tabs, Cpu, Spd and Memory. I wonder if the board is doing the 216 Mhz Fsb thing some of my other Asus boards do.

I'm new to this kind of stuff, I'm not overclocking it as I do not know how to. Thermaltake TR2 TR-500 500W is my PSU. As for cooler I'm just using the case fans on my Corsair Carbide spec-03 and as for the revision number, I have no idea how to check.

- - - Updated - - -

As for my case, I have 2 fans. but only one works as my motherboard sucks, and only have one fan plugin. I tried finding a splitter for it but I can't find one. Is there any settings in the bios I can use to limit my CPU's power consumption? and to fix this problem?

No, I was asking about the cooler for the CPU itself. Are you using the stock heat sink and fan that came boxed with the CPU or are you using an aftermarket CPU cooler of some kind?

The revision number of the motherboard should be printed on the motherboard where the model number of the motherboard is found. Usually, it's along side the first PCI-e slot where the video card goes. It should also be on the motherboard box in the area where the UPC is located. That motherboard went through a number of revisions and that can make a difference in it's robustness.

You should be able to find a fan cable splitter in amazon or ebay. Are your case fans 3 or 4 wire fans? Now I'm assuming you live in the US where you have access to online purchasing through ebay and amazon.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fan-3-pin-...139726?hash=item1c68036ece:g:y~wAAOSwstxVHvV3
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15cm-4-pin...419993?hash=item466e21ce59:g:FRkAAOSwZqZZ6d9y

- - - Updated - - -

You could reduce the core speed multiplier and that would reduce power consumption. Not sure what adjustments there are in that particular board's bios. First thing I would do would be to check the RAM like I mentioned earlier. Failing memory modules can cause what you describe as can a buggy device driver somewhere.

This would be a good match for your CPU: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-A...162153&hash=item1ed4171a48:g:NL4AAOSwsYpaFJDl

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

Can't figure out how to send the screenshots.

That didn't work. Click on the Go Advanced button at the lower right corner of any new post window. Then you will see the tools for browsing and uploading the screenshot file.

Pic%201%20CPU.png

- - - Updated - - -

Just copy and paste that in to your browser, the image isnt working well for me

- - - Updated - - -

file:///C:/Users/TheTh/Downloads/Pic%201%20S.png

- - - Updated - - -

file:///C:/Users/TheTh/Downloads/Pic%201%20M.png

Have a similar system rn was using a artic cooler rev pro 2 until I went with the hyper 212 with enermax 500w psu.

Same board/same CPU/couple of TB drives (2) running with some artic thermal paste (will check it again im just going off memory). However I am running abit more cooling in my case 1 hyper 212 with a single fan, 2 120mm fans in the front and another two fans in the top of my case.

Also that setup should auto overclock 100mhz not much but mine has auto OC by that much. I think there was a turbo option or something to that effect in the bios (I will check when im back at my place if your problem isn't resolved should be Fri/Sat).

When I have had similar problems in the past not on my current setup it has been PSU/Ram related. Do a memtest86 on your ram and see if its that.

Last edited:
Your CPU-z "SPD" tab is empty of data because you don't have a memory stick in slot #1. Change the slot view in CPU-z with the drop down arrow. I'm guessing since you are in dual channel mode as reported in the Memory tab of CPU-z that you have slots 2 and 4 populated with slots 1 and 3 empty.

Have you done a test on the memory yet?

Another tip: Using the Snipping Tool built into Windows you can crop images on your desktop so that you don't capture the entire screen. When you capture the entire screen it shrinks down the relevant component and can make it difficult to read the data. Here, you only need to show us the CPU-z user interface, not the whole desktop.

I havent done a test on the memory, and i have the information on my RAM

- - - Updated - - -

Capture.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

Capture2.PNG

If you will compare your current primary memory timings in the Memory tab (post #14) with what the manufacturer recommends in the SPD tab (XMP-1600) you will see your current tRC is 37 when it should be 40. That timing parameter may be set just a little too "tight" as we say for complete stability of the system.

First, make sure in bios that your memory frequency is set to XMP. If you're not comfortable with changing the timing from 40 to 37 then just give the memory voltage a small bump, say from stock 1.5 to 1.6. That would likely cover for the tRC being a little too fast at current and that small a voltage bump will in no way hurt your memory.

Back