• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC noise and heat while playing BF4 - where's it coming from? pics inc.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tom780ti

Hello, i'm not a massive PC tech guy so I need your help.

I play BF4 max settings on my PC with no lag or anything but my computer seems to be making a lot of noise and producing a lot of heat when I play it which came to surprise to me as I have the latest graphics card and water cooling etc.

My computer uses a Nvida 780ti Graphics card and an intel core i7-4770k CPU @ 3.50GHz with 8gb 1200Mhz RAM. I have a Cosmos Cool Master SE case.

My Graphics card reached up to 66 degrees, my CPU 44 degrees, motherboard 28 degrees, SSD 31 degrees and SATA 29 degrees. I got told this was good but it seems odd that the top of my computer gets so hot when playing BF4 and the loud noise over-rides the game-play sounds which doesn't make it fun to play.

I thought the noise/heat was from the graphics card but I'm not sure if it is now because I opened the side case and took a look inside - I think it's coming from the top fans of the computer in the picture provided. I'm not sure if they're case fans or part of the water cooling.

I opened up the side case and even though there was heat blowing out of the Graphics card, I don't think it was enough to make the top vents of the computer so hot.

http://tinypic.com/r/fn9uz7/8

http://tinypic.com/r/29vz2au/8

(Picture down below if link doesn't work)

Does everything seem normal and is there anything I can do about the heat and the noise?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Smaller, higher rpm fans will be quite audible. Once things heat up, i.e. in BF4 at max settings on multiplayer for example, the fans speed up and get louder.

Im assuming thats an h100i? You can get some noctua 120mm fans that will be much quieter. Go for pressure optimized fans regardless of brand for a thicker cooler like that. (pending its an h100i). If its your other fans, then same thing applies, just find an applicable, low noise fan to replace them with. This can get a bit pricey though.

That said, those temps are fantastic, not much to worry about there.

I do see quite a bit of dust going on there, invest 4$ into a compressed air can and blow that crap out to prevent any long term issues with dust buildup :)

From those temps, I would have to guess that it is your GPU that is making the noise since the CPU temps is so low (it looks wrong, its so low, LOL).

Also, host the pics internally so they last (and for people like me whos 3rd party hosts are blocked from the office).

As far as dust. Save $4 and use a vacuum cleaner... not the brush though. ;)

OCFinsertimages.png

Here you go :) I thought the noise was coming from these fans which is connected to the water cooler - if it is then what would be the best fans to replace them with and why do you think it gets so hot while playing BF4?

Attachments

• IMG-20140806-00672.jpg
    IMG-20140806-00672.jpg
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG-20140806-00674.jpg
    IMG-20140806-00674.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 224
  • bf4 temp.jpg
    bf4 temp.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 225
So wait, you don't know there is a radiator up there? Did you not build this yourself and just bought it?

Like I said, since the CPU temps are WAY LOW, I doubt its the CPU fans that are doing it. You need to figure out the source before you go buying and replacing fans. :)

As far as your temps, that reads real time. So when you are in the leaderboard there, the CPU drops dramatically. Run a program called Realtemp while you are playing a round (give it at least 15 mins to warm up) then look at realtemp and see what the temps are.

EDIT: I deleted your duplicate posts... you deleted the first??????

Better fans at lower RPM on the rad will help, but am with ED, it is the card that is ramping up and flooding the case with hot air and noise

If the bottom of your case has a fan mount may help to use it as an intake and throw some cooler air past the card as well as boost the exhaust a bit

I played the game for around half an hour with the temp monitor in the background quit the game and then took a screenshot of the temps but i'll do as you said and download realtemp and will post back with the results. And it's a custom built pc but I didn't build it myself I just purchased it.

Yeah the first post had the wrong reply name on it so I deleted it and made a duplicate with the correct name (bob) which you deleted but it doesn't matter :)

Thanks for your help I will come back with the temps very shortly as i'll do it now :)

Better fans at lower RPM on the rad will help, but am with ED, it is the card that is ramping up and flooding the case with hot air and noise

If the bottom of your case has a fan mount may help to use it as an intake and throw some cooler air past the card as well as boost the exhaust a bit

^^^^ this

It's the Palit that is making a rackett

Also the top fans are sucking the heat produced by the palit upwards.

I'ld vote to add more fanpower in the front/floor , but since this case has serious restriction in the front... a side panel fan might be an option.
From the dust patterns it is clear that this case has not enough fresh air coming in. Maybe try with flipping the top fans to intake.

But first... it all needs some dusting

Hello earth dog I have done what you said and have been playing for over an hour and here are the results

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 203
Temps are still in order... 60C seems more appropriate though for a load temp. ;)

You still need to pin down where the noise is coming from THEN make the decision of what to change.

You can try a CPU stress test (Prime95) and see if you hear the same noise. A CPU only test will not ramp up the GPU so it is a way to eliminate that noise and become conclusive. ;)

Because you have "water" cooler and it is top mounted you can expect exhaust air temp quite close to your real CPU temp minus the delta between water and CPU sensor. That paired with a GPU that vents hot air in the case it is quite normal to have high temperatures.

The noise is most likely your AIO cooler fans. You can either change the location of the radiator, get quieter fans or change the airflow direction to intake from the top.

Back