• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlexPunk21

Registered
Hi, my friend has an overheating problems with his pc after the overheat the computer shuts down itself, i know pc,laptop does this everytime it overheats,we monitored the temperature of pc and non of it has reached 80C, i told him to keep pc away from wall and dust,set fan on turbo speed and change thermal paste if the pc is old. is there any other advice to keep computer away from overheat?
P.S we just left game running for an hour to check if it will reach 80C

We would need to know the hardware before we can help........A lot of CPUs are good well past 80C.

A list of parts is a good place to start. Airflow is always key. more fresh air the better.

i forgot, stupid me...
2GB ram, core 2 duo E7500 2.93GHz,asus nvidia gtx 550TI, windows 7 ultimate 32-bit.

TJmax for that CPU is 80C I believe. I would try to reapply the paste and remount the cooler while making sure your airflow is in order.

EDIT: Looks to be 100C... what application are you using to get temperatures?
What power supply does he have?

PCUID HWMonitor and 400W
P.S plus he have "blue screen of death" , i barely figured it out when he was telling me it and i told him ti quickly reinstall the windows! can it be a reason or at least have more effect on overheat?

It's possible that windows is corrupt but the symptoms would be different. It would crash randomly not just under load. I would take EarthDog's advice and check the paste on the CPU mount. It's fairly cheap to buy. Back to the power supply, how old is it and do you have a brand name/model.

same as mine only 1 years old and about brand name i am not sure, we'll check the thermal paste and with that i'll check the model too. thanks for quick respond as always. :)

PCUID HWMonitor and 400W
P.S plus he have "blue screen of death" , i barely figured it out when he was telling me it and i told him ti quickly reinstall the windows! can it be a reason or at least have more effect on overheat?
Try using Realtemp... HWmonitor has too much information, LOL!

400W PSU should be fine.. but what brand is it? it could be a crap PSU that is crapping the bed as well. ;)

The on board sensors could be wrong and give a bad reading. May try updating BIOS

As others have said it can be thermal paste(ive run into this a lot with friends) or corrupted windows.

Does it crash randomly or under heavy load?

as others have said, remount the cooler on the CPU after a good clean and using fresh/new tim
(tim brand is not that important)

And while you're at it.. reset the bios to default value's, something might be set wrong.

Is this a store bought computer or custom built?

Have you checked the CPU cooler heat sink fins for being clogged with dust?

I agree with Scott. I might do it personally, but that is because I can unsolder the bios chip and flash it with an external programmer.

If you don't want to do that, don't do a risky flash.

I agree with Scott. I might do it personally, but that is because I can unsolder the bios chip and flash it with an external programmer.

If you don't want to do that, don't do a risky flash.

I would do it also. I have 'alternative' hot flash methods. ;)

Back