• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC random reboots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overclockerchat

The random reboots started almost two weeks ago. Prior to that I didn't install a new hardware or software.
The reboots is random. It happens while browsing, photoshop, games, idle, even while booting. Reboots can happen a few minutes of use to a few hours. Sometimes it reboots a few seconds while booting.
Temp is ok as I always monitor them and I dont overclock my PC.
I use my back-up gpu and then use the onboard graphic card.
I use my back-up 750w power supply. My system only needs 600w.
I use only 1 memory stick and tried all 4 memory slots.
I did a clean install of windows 8 wiping out all my previous data on my hdd.
I pull out the power sw and reset sw from the mobo and use my pc for a couple of minutes and then it reboots again.
Nothing of the above works.
Now my memory stick have been problematic for a long time as I need to reseat it a couple of times to work when I clean my PC.

Can a faulty memory stick cause my system to reboot randomly? I don't have a back-up memory stick to try btw.

Thanks in advance

Specs:
Windows 8
Intel core i7
ATI HD 4870x2
2tb HDD
Cooler master silent pro 1000w
g skill 4gb ddr3 1333
v6gt cooler
asrock extereme 7 gen3

Replace the memory would be my first step. 1333 with sli/cfx is hurting you a bitbl anyway. GraGrab some 2133 sticks.

New memory didn't work. Random reboots for about a week. Then for some unknown reason the reboots stopped and i was able to use my PC without reboots for a week. But today it started happening again.
I check my bios and my cpu temp is around 70c which is weird because all cpu monitor software I use reads around 38c. I'll updating my bios to see if it will solve my cpu over temp.

I found someone who has the same problem as I am and he solve the random reboots by removing the cmos bat for 10 mins then put it back again. I did the same thing and I don't have any random reboots for 4 days.
I don't know why would a cmos battery could cause a random reboots. Hopefully the cmos battery is the problem since replacing it would be cheap. Thanks

Well my PC started random reboots again. I already use a new cmos battery so definitely thats not the problem.
The reset and power button on my mobo might be the problem. I was going to pull out the usb pin on my mobo when my pc boot up. The reset and power button button is near the usb pin. The buttons lits up while booting and when the button is press the lights will go off which what happens when I press the usb pin on the mobo as if the buttons is being press.

Is there any way to disable the power and reset button on my mobo?

It's not the CMOS battery itself that removing it addresses. Removing the CMOS battery does a deep reset of the CMOS/Bios but you may need to leave the battery out for several hours in order for it to accomplish that deep reset.

Back