• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC shuts down when installing winxp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxima88

Hello everyone. This problem is affecting the top pc in my sig.
Just a brief background on my setup. I've been running a dual boot winxp pro system for years. Never had a problem. I decided to reformat my D: HD and do a clean install since it was running a bit slower than expected. So i formatted the HD and once all files were copied and started to load my pc shuts down. I know my components work since I'm able to boot to the other winxp and am writing this question using the same pc. PCProbe says my cpu temp is 53 degrees so it's not a overheating problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Just shuts down or with a BSOD? I had this one on a laptop once, maybe the correct SATA drivers are missing on the Windows XP CD?

I understood the pc crashes when the install begins (or tries) to write files on the HDD.

Thanks for the quick reponses. When I used a Winxp slipstream disc that I made the pc shuts down but when I use the winxp pro full version disc I get the BSOD.
Anyway I have an update. I noticed a lot of dust inside the case so I bought a can of dust off tried to blow off as much dust as possible. I hooked up everything and was able to reinstall the o/s with the slipstream disc without a hitch. What I don't understand is why I was still able to use it with the other winxp boot if it was an overheating issue causing the pc to shut down.

Installing XP involves a lot of decompressing of compressed files. This tends to work the system a bit more than just loading the OS. That 'may' have something to do with it.

Z

This tends to work the system a bit more than just loading the OS. That 'may' have something to do with it.
I highly doubt that, no way that those loads from compressing / decompressing files puts more load on the system than actually working on it.

Still I got no clue why the issue is solved now, the kind of reproductivity (certain CDs) would rule out lose cables / dust on connectors, however that would be my best shot at this. Or a scratchy CD?

A damaged CD won't cause the PC to turn off. Sounds like a PSU protection or a heatsink issue.

The PSU is suspect #1.

Back