• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC won't boot after loss of power

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i6pwr

So my main rig that's listed in my sig, will not boot up...:( I was moving my case and the power cord must have wiggled loose and momentarily lost power. The PC shut off then turned back on but would not boot. It will beep once and act like it's firing up, fans are on, but after about 1 min it will shut off then try again to reboot on it's own.

There is a number code on the MB and it reads 55 after a few seconds of startup, my research leads me to possibly a memory issue.

I was hoping to not swap memory as my Noctura blocks the DIMM's but oh well, may come to that.

Any thoughts? Hopefully this isnt the curse of some of these Extreme 4 MB's when losing power. The PC has been turned off a number of times but not rapidly like this.

Not yet, wanted to ask here first. Built a few PC's, but never really had many issues and unsure of the order of protocol when issues like this arise.

Yes, first try resetting the CMOS. Make sure the PSU is switched off first, however.

55 is typically a memory error. But yeah, clear CMOS and with some luck it should fire up. If not, read manual to see which spot for one stick of memory and test each...

Does it keep looping with start stop? if it does like everyone else said Clear cmos with it unplugged and press the power button to discharged power. Memory sticks my be also loose and also check for PSU connectors being loose.

Check internal power connectors as well, I had a neighbor that had a pc that won't boot and it was power connector to HDD that came lose.

Sorry for the late reply, been real busy and I've left the PC off this entire time.

Tonight I turned the PS on, powered the PC up, a message appeared on the screen that after repeated failed boots the uefi will reset.

Shortly after it booted just fine.

So I haven't touched anything, what should I check first before I begin anything. All connections appear good.

Boot looping.. Go into the bios if you can and find the CPU's onboard video card and disable it. My Z97 and a 4790k when i bought them in 2016 had the same issue and it was due to the onboard graphics on the cpu conflicting with the dedicated card. See if that works

Sorry for the late reply, been real busy and I've left the PC off this entire time.

Tonight I turned the PS on, powered the PC up, a message appeared on the screen that after repeated failed boots the uefi will reset.

Shortly after it booted just fine.

So I haven't touched anything, what should I check first before I begin anything. All connections appear good.
Glad its working for you.

Not much to check. That is a nornal response for most bios after multie failed boots. You can stress test it if you like.

Boot looping.. Go into the bios if you can and find the CPU's onboard video card and disable it. My Z97 and a 4790k when i bought them in 2016 had the same issue and it was due to the onboard graphics on the cpu conflicting with the dedicated card. See if that works
i think he's got it. :)

Back