• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC wont boot...bios dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only thing that i havent 100% sure (because i dont remenber) is if the hard drive led in on or not... as far as i can remenber it think that sometimes that red light was on and other times off but the times that were on it wont blincked (but i have to confirm this)

One thing was occured allways:
NO pc internal speaker beep = no post
When the beep occured it posted normally

Thks

The only thing that i havent 100% sure (because i dont remenber) is if the hard drive led in on or not... as far as i can remenber it think that sometimes that red light was on and other times off but the times that were on it wont blincked (but i have to confirm this)

One thing was occured allways:
NO pc internal speaker beep = no post
When the beep occured it posted normally

Thks

At this time based on what you have told me if I had to guess I would go with the motherboard, which part of the motherboard would be hard to say, if the hard drives were spinning up and running the OS, which could be seen by watching a lot of led activity, then stopping at the "welcome" screen then more activity as it loads the GUI, then very little activity from then, then if that happens the southbridge and hard drives are good. If you have shotgunned the processor and no change then odds are that the processor is not the issue. RAM can and will stop a boot, and if your system was overclocked, there is a possibility that the RAM has gone bad, if you have tried other RAM and the issue continues, then you are down to then mobo again, without integrated video, a thought would be the northbridge, again if the system was overclocked its possible it was damaged by heat and over voltage.If it was then a hair dryer won't be able to fix it. There is a possibility that the PSU has dropped a leg, a distinct possibility would be the CPU power leg, again not that unheard of, the symptoms you posted would make me think it is in the socket northbridge area, which would include the CPU power plug. If you have a volt meter check the voltage output on the cpu plug, if it is there then again it would point back to the northbridge.

I know this seems painful, but believe it or not, troubleshooting a computer system that you can see if rough, there are so many things to watch when you press the power switch, the fans, the hdd led, etc. But trying to help as best as I can under these circumstances. You never did reply about Hiren's?

At this time based on what you have told me if I had to guess I would go with the motherboard, which part of the motherboard would be hard to say, if the hard drives were spinning up and running the OS, which could be seen by watching a lot of led activity, then stopping at the "welcome" screen then more activity as it loads the GUI, then very little activity from then, then if that happens the southbridge and hard drives are good. If you have shotgunned the processor and no change then odds are that the processor is not the issue. RAM can and will stop a boot, and if your system was overclocked, there is a possibility that the RAM has gone bad, if you have tried other RAM and the issue continues, then you are down to then mobo again, without integrated video, a thought would be the northbridge, again if the system was overclocked its possible it was damaged by heat and over voltage.If it was then a hair dryer won't be able to fix it. There is a possibility that the PSU has dropped a leg, a distinct possibility would be the CPU power leg, again not that unheard of, the symptoms you posted would make me think it is in the socket northbridge area, which would include the CPU power plug. If you have a volt meter check the voltage output on the cpu plug, if it is there then again it would point back to the northbridge.

I know this seems painful, but believe it or not, troubleshooting a computer system that you can see if rough, there are so many things to watch when you press the power switch, the fans, the hdd led, etc. But trying to help as best as I can under these circumstances. You never did reply about Hiren's?

Thanks again for you help...
i will try to do everything again to discard all the possibilities. I will put the mobo out of the case just with the CPU, 1 RAM module. Then i will try to boot separatly 3 diferent methods:
- HDD
- DVDROM drive
- Pen bootable

After this i will post the results again (that im almost sure that wil be the same)

Regarding what you said about the Hiren's boot the problem is one step before that... it wont post even. no image on the screen...nothing besides the spinning of the fans and HDD's...

Thks

So...i remove the mobo from the case and on the 1st try i connected the HDD, CPU and 1 RAM module. I have also pluged into the mobo the wire of HDD led, Power Led and Power switch that i have removed from the case.

With the HDD plugged on the 1st time i got a normal post and normal boot of SO...ALL normal. Then, i reboot the system and i got the same problem again:
No beep of the pc speaker, no post, not any image on the monitor and the HDD led was off, just the power led was on!
I have shutdown the power button of the PSU, turn it on again and try to power on the system but nothing happened...same problem.

I will now remove the HDD and connect a DVD Rom to see

Ok then...
step 2: just the cd rom drive connected with the IDE cable with the hiren's boot cd inside.

When push the power button no beep of the pc internal speaker and no image on monitor and no post, the HDD led became on (without blinking and turns off after 5 or 10 seconds) and i can ear the cd rom spinning inside the drive...

I have tried this 5 times and could not get any sucefull post...

I will now try to boot from a bootable pen that i have made...

After the 7th try i got a sucefull post to hirens boot cd with the cd rom device...
i run memtest for 10 mins and make a reboot...
this reboot went ok again but on the next one the same think happened...no beep,no post...

Meanwhile i have tested with the pen bootable but no luck at all...

in resume i can say that this mobo just post when she wants...the is no regular pattern on the problem...i mean, there isnt because any component, boot from pen, cd or HDD that is causing the issue. The problem as the facts show are related with some piece or component of the motherboard (NB, SB, any capacitor or socket...).

I really dont know what should i do more...maybe some hot in the NB with the Hair blower could do something...

Unless you can pin it down to a certain area of the mobo, then it would be hard to say which part is causing the issues. While you were in Hiren's you should have run prime95 a great way to tell you where a mobo is failing. There are a lot of decent tools in hiren's I would have checked it out more and tried to pin it down from there. Since this is a dual core cpu, might consider replacing the mobo, they are very cheap and at this point seems like we have ruled out any other system items.

So by the simptoms so far there is not easy to say where is the most probable location of the faulty zone right?

In your personal opinion based on your experience what you suggest? For me im assuming the mobo is dead so i cannot loose nothing trying to "back it to life"...

Northbridge? Southbridge?

Thks

My oppinion.....motherboard. Can't tell which part but honestly the mobo can replaced for very cheap. Smartest best way to go.

I will in fact replace it for a cheap buy that i could find on ebay but i wish try to give it a "little bit of hot" because i really have nothing to loose...as i said for me it is already dead...

so if was you where did you take the shot? NB or SB? That hair blower hot is used to do in the front or in the back of the mobo?

If it was me I would have replaced the mobo a long time ago. TO be honest component repair on a mobo is expensive, and unless you have a high end mobo not worth it, if its the Northbridge or southbridge, your looking at a lot of solder work at a level most wouldn't attempt, as far as heating it up, well heat up the NB and SB, but I still have to wonder if your dropping the cpu power leg from the psu. Don't suppose you have a PSU tester do you?

yes i have a digital multimeter...but the PSU is brand new. you are saying that i should use that multimeter to test the with the mobo powered on?

A PSU tester is a small box that you can plug all the plugs into and it lights up led for each leg of the PSU, handy for this type of issue, I would plug it in and power it on, check lights power it off and repeat till I was convinced that maybe out of the 15 times you refer to it either fails, or passes 100%. Being new is not a promise that it is functional, if it was then the word warranty would not exist anywhere.

yep thats one of them, We have several around the shop, the same can be done with a volt meter just make sure you have a good connection, because holding the pins in and power switch, etc is too much fun for an old guy like me.

Well then i will do that with the digital volt meter that i have.
I will try to get a boot then with the system ON put the connectors in all plugs that are connected from the PSU to the board and see the current voltages right?

Thks

Well then i will do that with the digital volt meter that i have.
I will try to get a boot then with the system ON put the connectors in all plugs that are connected from the PSU to the board and see the current voltages right?

Thks

hook up the voltmeter then power it up

Back