• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCIE 3.0 slots Not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boomer0909

New build everything seemed to be going swimmingly until I tried to install the GPU. I installed it and started it up and no dice. Resolution is really low (800X600) and EVGA precision does not detect the card. I have tried my new 650 Ti in both slots as well as the 9800 in my sig that I know works.

Is there something that I could be missing? I installed all GPU drivers and software. Everything else is working fine.

AsRock Z77 Extreme 4
8 GB Ballastix 9-9-9-24
600W Corsair PSU
Windows 8 64-Bit

Thanks for your help guys.

I just got that board and had a similar issue. Use the onboard video to boot (video card also plugged in), then install the nvidia drivers for your card, power down and then boot up plugged into your card. This worked for me.

Hey ninja is there switches for the card slots as well or have i wrong Mobo!!

Maybe is was thinking more about the high class Mobo's where to save time you have a switch to turn off to swap out your GPU'S. Do not wish to put a red herring in there as you have to many problems as it is hi hi. AJ. sorry.

Right i have this post and possible fix for your problem, you need to read the whole text in this post to the end!!

1,http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/320377-12-asrock-extreme4-video-card-detecting

1, Check Bios
2, Clear CMOS if needs be
3, Read post try fixes they did.

Last edited:
no dice. updated to bios ver 2.5 and still nothing. when I have the card in the pc wont even boot now. I will test in my old old system to make sure gpu is okay. but like I said I know my 9800 works and I was having the same issue.

Are you using the same hard drive? Did you reinstall Windows or clone it? My steps would be (skip the ones you've already done):

-Try booting with onboard graphics and installing new nvidia drivers
-Try old card in new build
-Try new card in old build
-If you haven't done so already, start with fresh install of Windows
-Report back

Hi ninja found this video to explain about the Graphics cards etc, have a look and see what you think Bro! AJ.

It says in the video about switching on or off the card in the PCI-E Slot?

AJ, that video explains the Virtu software which switches between dedicated and onboard graphics, depending on PC needs.

Let him try out the other solutions first and see what he finds.

Are you using the same hard drive? Did you reinstall Windows or clone it? My steps would be (skip the ones you've already done):

-Try booting with onboard graphics and installing new nvidia drivers
-Try old card in new build
-Try new card in old build
-If you haven't done so already, start with fresh install of Windows
-Report back

i am using the same windows install all same hdds &ssds.

I have always run into problems when i swap out motherboard and try and use the same HDDs. Most times when I try it, I can't even boot successfully to Windows. You could still try to get it working, but my suggestion would be to back up what you need onto one of the drives, then reinstall Windows and start fresh.

AJ: No worries, man :)

Back