• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pelican Air-Flo Cooler for 360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

Ok, so i had a few games i wanted to trade in at gamestop. Well, after i traded my stuff in i noticed they actually had this thing in stock! i had remembered hearing about this before. I was shocked to see it in a brick-and-mortar store!

pelican-air-flo-360-preview-20070207060015080-000.jpg

Thats the thing i got.

It plugs into the USB, Ethernet, and A/V slot into the back of the 360. As you can see, it then gives you 4 USB ports, gets rid of the 360's proprietary A/V cable, and lets you use either Composite cables, Component cables, a S-Video cable, or a D-Sub cable.

it also has an Optical Audio out as well.

its NOT like the inter-cooler due to the fact that this does NOT plug into the 360's power port. This way, it won't over-heat and kill the 360 like the old style inter-cooler did.

pelican-air-flo-360-20070619034419236-000.jpg

as you can see, it doesn't go the entire length of the 360, thus it doesn't touch the 360's power port.

pelican-air-flo-360-20070619034432720-000.jpg

Thats the back of the unit. as i said, it plugs into the A/V port, the Ethernet port, and the USB port on the back of the 360.

now, i'm not quite sure how well this thing cools, BUT there is a great deal of heat being pumped out of the back of the 360 now that i put this thing on mine. Seems like its doing its job at helping cool the 360.

The thing i'm REALLY happy about, is the D-Sub port on this thing! I'm using a crappy 27" TV from walmart that cost like 75 bucks. the TV has Mono sound, not very good quality. Now, i have it plugged into the 20" Monitor, and have the 360 running at 1360x768. Sadly, my monitor only goes up to 1680x1050, so i can't run the 360 in the full 1920x1080. but this is MUCH MUCH better than the crappy TV.

I then bought some 20 dollar speakers, hooked them up, and bam. I'm now in love with my 360!

Also, i own a 1st gen Xbox360. So i'm always afraid that i will suddenly get the red rings of death. And i bought it off a friend, thus i don't have the 3 year warranty either. So i was looking for a decent 360 cooler anyways.

All in all, i'd say this was a DAMN good 30 bucks spent.

If anyone else finds this in a store, i suggest you pick it up. Pretty cheap at 30 bucks, helps cool the 360, and gives you many more options as to how you want to hook it up to your TV or Monitor.

Anyone else have this thing? Hear of any bad reviews on it? Any reason why i should take the thing off?

Oh, and i got it at my local GameStop.

Last edited:
there, got the pictures up and going. The pictures were links, and i was copying the picture's link location, and not the picture location. Thus, it was trying to link some large images, which i guess were too big for the forums.

oh well, its up and working ( at least, i see the pictures )

I havent read anything about that cooler, but I hope it has its own seperate power source. Either that or dont use the USB ports, as the 360 USB port is probably close to max output with those two fans and optical out.

Mpegger said:
I havent read anything about that cooler, but I hope it has its own seperate power source. Either that or dont use the USB ports, as the 360 USB port is probably close to max output with those two fans and optical out.

No, it doesn't have its own power source. Most likely, i'm guessing it grabs its power from the USB port, as i'm not sure if the A/V port can supply it with any additional power or not.

the only problem i see, is that if it is getting its power from the USB port, then the fans are only running at 5 volts. But, the fans ARE quiet. i literally can't hear them when the unit is on. but then again, i don't have the side panel on my PC, i almost always have a movie or TV show playing, and i have a portable A/C unit in my room. so hearing a few fans on the back of the 360 probably wasn't much of a concern of mine to begin with :D

After all the intercooler issues, I'd be gunshy. My 360 doesn't have heat problems, but if it did I think I would opt for a laptop cooling pad instead.

word. but im all about cooling this sucker. i might take a look at this thing.

would a laptop cooler really help this thing? Does cooling off the side of the 360 actually help cool the GPU/CPU any better than normal? i mean, its not like plastic is the best material to transfer heat.

I'd figure that putting a fan or two on the bottom of the 360 would be more beneficial than a laptop cooler, as the fans would blow cool air INTO the unit, instead of onto the side of the unit.

would a laptop cooler really help this thing?

does it REALLY do anything? i dunno.
is it peace of mind? yah.
has my 360 ever got rrod?? nope and this is my second one (first was stolen) and ive had a 360 since like a week after they came out.

With all the heat problems the 360 seems to have, why hasnt anyone come out with a new case design, as well as new heatsinks to go along with the case, for it?

Sure it would void your warranty and it wouldn't look so stylish in something that looks like a ordinary PC case, but what does that matter if your always worried about it giving you the three middle fingers when you least expect it? :shrug:

With all the heat problems the 360 seems to have, why hasnt anyone come out with a new case design, as well as new heatsinks to go along with the case, for it?

Sure it would void your warranty and it wouldn't look so stylish in something that looks like a ordinary PC case, but what does that matter if your always worried about it giving you the three middle fingers when you least expect it? :shrug:

Well first off, The average consumer won't do any modifications to their consoles, beyond changing a face-plate, or adding ugly decal's to their console. So the market for such a thing is VERY small.

and the people who WOULD do this, would most likely be geeks as it is. And they'd just put the 360's mainboard, and drives into a computer. Or they'd just modify their own 360 to their personal liking.

there really isn't a market for this, and its not safe for a company to release a product when THEY know that it will void the original warranty. could lead to class-action law suits, and or law-suits from Microsoft.

Honestly, i think the 360 just needs a fan upgrade, and alot of the vent holes could be made bigger to allow more airflow. with those two combined...quite a few problems will go away. a heat-sink is only good if enough cool air can get to it. doesn't matter if you make it beefier, or add heat-pipes or whatever...if it gets little air...then its just another chunk of metal.

What it needs is two things

1. better cooling for the GPU
2. That better cooling to divert any dissipated heat away from the DVD drive which is DIRECTLY above the GPU thus causing premature DVD drive death

2. That better cooling to divert any dissipated heat away from the DVD drive which is DIRECTLY above the GPU thus causing premature DVD drive death

which could be done by stream-lining the airflow. hell, the fans in the 360 are strong enough, they just designed the damn thing badly. If they you/they could stream-line the air, then the heat-sink on the GPU would be good enough to do what it needs to do.

But putting a damn giant chunk of metal and plastic DIRECTLY overtop a heat source was NOT the brightest idea on Microsoft's part. And even then, they could have at LEAST made that ducting system have a flap on it that sits ONTOP of the damn GPU heatsink, that way air gets forced THROUGH the gpu, instead of just hovering around the GPU and the DVD drive.

Honestly, it probably would have been cheaper for Microsoft to re-design the duct, and *possibly* use better fans, than to use new heat-sinks for the GPU.

as i said before, the greatest heatsink in the world will be nothing more than a chunk of metal if it doesn't get enough air-flow.

Wher do you connect your speakers when you are conncting the xbox to a computer monitor

Well, there are 2 options. Both involve the Composite Audio out jacks on the unit.

1 - get an adapter, and plug it into the Line-in port of your computer, and use your PC speakers.

I didn't do this, for the simple fact that i couldn't play the 360, and do anything on my computer that required Audio.

2 - What i did, was took some Audio composite cables, and hooked them up from the 360's composite Audio ports to my switch-box. ( a box that lets you switch between different consoles/DVD players ). That was a direct Hook-up. Then, i got an adapter that is male on both ends. converts the Composite cables into a regular Head-phone sized jack ( which is male ). That takes the audio cables from the switch-box to the speakers. I then bought a cheap 20 dollar pair of speakers that has a AUX port to plug a male cable into. The port was put there mainly so you can hook an Ipod or some other MP3 player to it. And wammo....i have sound.

Because of the way i did it, I have all my consoles going to those speakers. The Wii and PS2 are still connected to the TV, but Video only. The audio is also connected to these speakers.

The ports on the back of the switch box that goes to the TV, instead only have video going to the TV, and the Audio going to these speakers.

sadly,these 20 dollars speakers are better than the speakers built into my TV.

But yeah...thats how i have sound even though its hooked up to my monitor.

Adapters FTW! :attn:

EDIT: Just noticed...That was your first post!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Actually it's got that now.

Back