• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peltier TEC module cooling for i5 4690K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FilipSebik

Hi everyone. Iam currently interested in peltier TEC cooling and i wanna ask you guys. How many watt pelter module is needed to keep my CPU about 15`C when idling? Because i cant isolate my CPU socket and other things with that rubber which used linus in his sub zero build then i need peltier that wont go below 0`C but it should stay like 10-20`C when idling. I have and Hyper 212 EVO now but i want to get more GHz and lower heat because 78`C at load with 4.5GHz is pretty bad for me. I dont want your opinion on buying new CPU cooler or AIO because it cost tons of money. Thanks

PS: Oh shoot and i need bigger screws to screw my cooler in it because peltier will add an heigh and i wont be able to mount cooler again or i can use mobo standoffs

Welcome!

Curious... wouldn't a pelt cost more than a better cooler or AIO? Not sure what they are priced, but, something to think about.

Also, before you get into this endeavor, how is the voltage on the chip at 4.5Ghz? I wouldn't go much over 1.4v so if you are close to that already, there may not be a point.

Also, I believe they will consume more power than your CPU so if you are worried about heat, the pelt is going to put off MORE.

Beware of condensation!!! A lot to consider!

Anyway, someone should be along to help out soon! :)

EDIT: THis may be a good read for ya: http://www.heatsink-guide.com/peltier.htm

Yes, besides no TEC is able to cool the hot side of that CPU, you have the need for a 500+ watt PSU at 24 volts. A fully separate PSU for just the TEC. You need to cool the hot side of the TEC at 500++ WATTS. Meaning a $500 watercooling setup. Just a thought. Don't thing any Pelt can even begin to cool that without temp overrun at load. Mebbe if your a top modder with cred and get to fly around the world to demo on their dime.

This is a problem with the internet. Old posts are old. When we had 50 watt processors etc Pelts were the bomb. Now we don't. Pelts haven't advanced, nor has the hot side cooling. It can be done, if you can handle development costs and the electricity costs it can work. Expect may smoke moments. Poof, damn, another $200,,,+

Just add the costs... Go for it.

Last edited:
RIP this thread. Please close it because Conumdrum answered what is best and i think he meant: Filip better get AIO cooler

He filled in my details in post #2 well, no doubt!

You can mark the thread "SOLVED" on your own... ;)

Back