• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pencil mod guide for X800 XT PCI-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Somebody with an X800 find out which pins on the vreg are being modded. You can do this by checking continuity between the hot points and pins on the vreg, once you know what pins need to be modded, you can use the same mods for ur pci-e version, just use alternate hot points.

-CaT

Ohk guys. If i can get a hires pic of the area around the vgpu vreg i could paint the mods on in about 5 seconds :D

But, you should be able to follow the trace from pin 18 on the vreg, and solder a VR in parralel w/ the resistor that it leads to. Just like the AGP version. ALl i need is a hires of the vgpu area :D

-CaT

OK GOOD NEWS! This should be it. You will need to zoom in on the area 2X via MS paint or something else to be able to see it well enough. But basically i followed the trace from pin 18 to that resistor. Solder a 20K VR set TO MAX in parallel w/ that resistor. Lower reistance for more voltage. Anybody wanna be the guini pig? NOTE: this isnt 100% but im pretty damn sure, a hires pic would still be nice

http://img46.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img46&image=x800xtpcieback14om.jpg

-CaT

oh, i thought this thread was for pencil modding
i've done vgpu vdd vddq with VR's this past week

these points are alot easier to solder, they can be used for the pencil mod as well but i guess you need alot of graphite
attachment.php

vgpu mod
attachment.php

vgpu/vdd/vddq mods and cooling, btw make sure to cool the vgpu modded area, and especially the 2 metal things on the bottom side of the card where i have the 60mm fan in the pic, it gets super hot
attachment.php

Last edited:
OHK cool bro. So i was right about that point at least :D pencil mod should be able to just connect those 2 pads? what do u guys think

-CaT

Didn't do a pencil mod but I did do this.

X850mods.jpg

If you need any pics or anything I can do that, and if I remember correctly the thread over at XS that I used for this mod also talked about the pencil version so check over there. Techpowerup might have something on this as well.

Can you post some links? My google search for the Techpowerup article turned up dead links and while I found some threads at Xtremesystems that discussed the volt mod, I did not find a step by step article. Alternatively, post some hires pics of what you did and explain how you did it.

Thanks for the nice link... was looking at the guide and checking out my card. Maybe I'll try it this weekend.

Here's a better pic of the memory mods. You need both of these mods for best memory clocks. VDD work's much better with VDDQ - 2.2v works good on both.

MemMods.jpg

Do you have the same PCB as in the TechPowerup article?

There are a few monor differences in the layout, but most everything looks the same. Is there a way to tell exactly. By the way, mine is a Connect3D X800 XT.

Aside from visual inspection, there is a PCB part number screened onto the board somewhere.

btw your Mushkin is running just fine for me ;)

Back