• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Penryn and Nehalem news

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I mean that it will need new mobo, IMC and northbridge memcontrollers wouldn't mix well.

Workstation sales probably make more cash than the extreme OC crowd and the former won't turn off speedstep not really OC, and since most likely you can turn it again no harm done with implementing it.

Can't wait to see this nehalem out.

i thought nehalem uses 1366 pins anyway. You wouldn't be able to physically put the nehalem into the skt 775 mobos.

Pat Gelsinger is hyping Nehalem, he better be right or he will become the next Randy Allen :)
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9780925-7.html

It really is pretty spectacular, and we're excited by the progress.

Memory bandwidth will be three times that of today's best systems

Intel won't drop its cache when it moves to QuickPath, he said, promising glorious results.

"We've made up for (AMD's) better system architecture with superior caching," Gelsinger said. "When we bring those big caches over to Nehalem, wow"

Updated, thx to Evilsizer

umm you might want to fix that in your first post... i never said they were changing pins for nehalem. nehalem was ment for the new socket cause of the IMC on the cpu now. either that or i have just lost what cpu intel is putting IMC on. either way when Nehalem comes out its meant for socket B (1366 pin sockect)

*edit*
here is another i rememebered reading, just needed to find them.

2 new sockets coming out, yes with nehalem(IMC and CSI :drool:)
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4182#Scene_1

Yea, but I just noticed your 15k 3dmark06 score that's all. On default settings? =|

Updated, thx to Evilsizer

Yea, we did have this convo before. Don't worry, I think it was either a glitch or I flipped something off on accident. I just keep forgetting to update it.

/me goes to do that now.

Yes, we've seen the Neha die and is has the IMC or ODMC. It's actually a cool looking die. This will require a new socket which means all new advancements mean a mobo change. It will be amazing to see what happens with all that cache and ODMC.

Now if only they would tell us when it will be available instead of just how much better than kentsfield it is.

We have 3.0G quad already with QX6850. Surely there are better offerings on the way??

I thought the EE series always comes first anyway?

The benches I've seen floating around on the QX9650 showed a nice improvement over the QX6850. Not sure exactly why other than new instructions and all, but they do seem rather improved overall in performance. Maybe not quite enough to justify such a big leap in the naming process though.

The benches I've seen floating around on the QX9650 showed a nice improvement over the QX6850. Not sure exactly why other than new instructions and all, but they do seem rather improved overall in performance. Maybe not quite enough to justify such a big leap in the naming process though.

to also show the difference of 45nm vs 65nm which is prolly why for the big name change. i do agree though it really odd they did it that way.

Back