• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peripherals turn off at 100% load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BAS.uk

Hi all,

I have an 8120 with Turbo turned off, 8gb Ram and asus r9 270 and all of my peripherals turn off under 100% load, the power button stops working and I have to switch the PSU off from the switch.

The CPU and Gfx Card are cool to touch still. And there are literally zero error logs on Windows 8.1 relating to anything whilst this happens. The computer however appears to continue working albeit with nothing working (fans still spin [increasing and decreasing in speed]).

Any ideas?

All help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks All

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3 Rev 1.0
CPU: FX-8120 @ 3.1 Ghz at 1.32 volts (Turbo Disabled)
RAM: 2 X 4GB Corsair Vengance 1866MHz (Running at 1333Mhz CAS 9)
Graphics Cards: Asus R9 270
Hard Drive: HyperX 3K 120GB SSD, WD Caviar Green 1TB
Power Supply: Generice 650W PSU
Case: Gigabyte Black Aurora 570 Aluminium ATX Case

If you disconnect the case power button wires from the motherboard pin block and short across the two bare pins with a screwdriver tip does the computer power down normally?

I believe it is my power supply, it's old and has a crap brand. And no even with a screwdriver it stays on. This is why I am asking for other opinions and advice. Everything appears to be fine in the background, just everything turns off except hdd's, mobo, cpu, fans, gfx. I am going to run a test later by converting a .obj to .vox which takes 5 mins and see if everything comes back on when its finished. The hard part is getting a size that takes 5 mins...any other ideas or is the consensus my psu is just to old and cheap?

It is is just the peripherals, than it may be that one of your minor rails are crapping out.

Your PSU, not knowing the specific model (as was asked of ya!!), may be generic junk and on the way out. Do you have a multimeter to test it? That is what I would do.

Indeed, sorry, it's a 'ITS 650UB' from late '09, and I don't have a multimeter, I need to buy one, but i'm thinking a new PSU is on the cards first, thanks for all of the replies

Check out our sticky in the PSU section for known good units that we recommend.
Grab a 500W unit from that list and you'll be set for a long while.

And for your PC a QUALITY 600W PSU is plenty. Please see our buying guide for a list of quality PSUs. Do not buy garbage again!

Yeah, it's a component I have neglected over the years. I have never seen this happen before so was evidently concerned. Thanks for all of your help.

What you're seeing is cross loading. This is when you have one rail heavily loaded, but another rail with almost zero load.
The main components at 100% load pull a heavy current through the 12V portion of your PSU while the peripherals are operating on 5V.
When you have a cheap PSU it can't handle a cross load and the voltage droops down on the 3.3V and 5V rails when the 12V rail is loaded.

Since the peripherals need 5V to operate, and the 5V rail droops down, the peripherals cut off.

Simple fix? Buy a higher end PSU that can handle cross loading :)

Back