• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phase change 24/7? And can you phase change RAM+VGA+NB+CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imoz

Registered
I just bought an Aquagate watercooling system last week that cools the CPU. I started thinking about upgrading it, but now I'm thinking maybe it makes sense to just go all the way.

What I was wondering is if the phase change units available are reliable enough to run 24/7? I leave my pc on 24/7 and hardly ever shut it down or reboot unless I'm installing something. Is this do-able with phase change?

Also, the Vapochill and Prometeia units appear to be designed solely for CPU. Can you implement phase change for the other major components in the pc simultaneously as well? Does this require additional core units or can it all run off of the same "box"?

How cold can you cool a CPU on a continuous basis?

yes you can run the prometeia/vapochill systems 24/7. well made homebuilt units can too. as far as doing more than the cpu, that would require a custom made unit/s. it isnt really worth it on the other things, though.

redken said:
Why is it not worth it to cool the GPU 24/7?
RAM and NB's dont really benefit at all from being supercooled. for the GPU, you'd have to get a custom system built, and a good waterblock is really all you need

I agree that nb and ram dont need phase, IMO they dont even need water, usually good air does it

but the gpu, now thats a diff story :)
ever wonder what cools those top scores on futuremark ? :)

however this is an option if you are well funded and really want to make some top charts as you will need two phase change systems, one for the cpu and one for the gpu
if you really want to go phase, get a phase for the cpu and keep your existing watercooling for the gpu

just my 2cent

D

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
LN2 and massive cascades.

cascades are still phase

also just a few are ln2 or cascade
no3 3dmark05 is single phase
no1 3dmark03 is single phase
some are chilled water or just water, single phase on those setups would yield even higher scores

D

The logistics to make a single unit that can cool the components your would like are rather challenging but it can be done. One of my latest mods was to make a system that can cool my cpu and a little fridge i built into the front of my computer and that worked fine.

Like everbody elses has said though for the other components there just isnt the return on the money. Not to mention to make use of phase for the vid card you will probably have to do some volt modding on it.

ZL1 said:
cascades are still phase

also just a few are ln2 or cascade
no3 3dmark05 is single phase
no1 3dmark03 is single phase
some are chilled water or just water, single phase on those setups would yield even higher scores

D
ok, im just saying that the only things that really benefit from phase are the cpu and gpu. phasing the cpu is easily done. the gpu is a fair bit trickier, and may not be worth it in all cases.

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
ok, im just saying that the only things that really benefit from phase are the cpu and gpu. phasing the cpu is easily done. the gpu is a fair bit trickier, and may not be worth it in all cases.

yes I fully agree, that was actually what I was sayin :)

D

For those of you who run your phase changes 24/7. How hard of a hit do you see on your power bills? Especially compared to a newer house fridge?

Is it any more cost effective to construct your own unit? As compared to a vapo/prommie? What about if you have to start completely from scratch? Ie, vaccum pump and gauges.

What is the life expectancy of these units in a 24/7 enviroment? Both home built and commercial.

Also what are the legalities of making your own system? I know for r12 you need a license. But, what about propane? Can the gauges be bought without a license? I would assume the laws in the USA are similar to here in Canada.

Well many ppl use Gas station propane wich is a good gas if you do not have a licence. Gauges you dont need licence, if you do just tell them its for air....how hard is it to operate a gauge. I to am wondering what a cost to build one ffrom scrat would be...I am guessing 200-250 for a basic setup.

I killed a vid card phase changing it (well, actually chilled water cooling it, but same difference).

The problem is it is literally impossible to properly insulate. The card itself got so cold that the AGP slot started filling with condensation :eek: - there really was nothing to be dont about that- you cant make an airtight seal around the entire vid card (not practially at least)

Worst thing is I barely got any preformance gain out of it (should have voltmodded the sucker)- another 20mhz out of the core- whopdeefriggindoo!

nealric said:
I killed a vid card phase changing it (well, actually chilled water cooling it, but same difference).

The problem is it is literally impossible to properly insulate. The card itself got so cold that the AGP slot started filling with condensation :eek: - there really was nothing to be dont about that- you cant make an airtight seal around the entire vid card (not practially at least)

Worst thing is I barely got any preformance gain out of it (should have voltmodded the sucker)- another 20mhz out of the core- whopdeefriggindoo!
Here is a very good article on how to insulate your VID card. I think that 24/7 can be easily done following it.

nealric said:

ya you have to watch those vid cards. i rap the card w/ saran rap tighten it up and boot it :p :beer: we pulled that trick up at TXGF w/ a x850xt :p V modded the he|| out of it :) only got a few benchies tho :shrug: condensation was forming on the edges of the card and a memory chip was frozen over :beer:

imoz said:
I just bought an Aquagate watercooling system last week that cools the CPU. I started thinking about upgrading it, but now I'm thinking maybe it makes sense to just go all the way.

What I was wondering is if the phase change units available are reliable enough to run 24/7? I leave my pc on 24/7 and hardly ever shut it down or reboot unless I'm installing something. Is this do-able with phase change?

Also, the Vapochill and Prometeia units appear to be designed solely for CPU. Can you implement phase change for the other major components in the pc simultaneously as well? Does this require additional core units or can it all run off of the same "box"?

How cold can you cool a CPU on a continuous basis?

There is nothing wrong with running phase change cooling 24/7 as long as everything is insulated properly.

As for the possibility of cooling all components via direct die with multiple evaps in a nutshell; in theory yes but not in practice.

Logistics wise yes you can have one compressor do all this work, however it will have to be a big compressor if you want good temperatures, which would entail a lot of heat, vibrations and noise. Not something you will want in your room. Also the reality of balancing multiple evaporators is not pretty, nor realistic. The physical orientation will throw off the restriction of metering devices as gravity plays its game.

If you want to understand what all this means you will have to do a lot of self education to understand exactly how phase change based refrigeration works. I sugest a few months reading and lurking at xtremesystems.org and here, and some books.

Important point, there is no benefit in putting things like ram and nb under phase.

What is realistic is a chiller. You can use phase change to cool a coolant through a heat exchanger and then pump the fluid through water blocks mounted on whatever you want.

Also while some things may be doable this is not a hobby for the cheap or the uneducated as you can get hurt or kill yourself. If you want to be safe and make a decent unit I suggest you do some serious self education, get books on refrigeration etc, read xtremesystems.org and ocforums.com here. It seems simple but there are a million little details and nuances. Depending on how much time, money and desire to learn you have you might want to consider having someone more professional build you a unit. I am sure NoL here wouldn't mind and there are plenty of people on xtremesystems that do this for a living now.

someone1029 said:
does anyone make a vga block for phase change units?

Yes. Chilly1 as well as a few other people on xtremesystems Also Runmc from XS runs an online store and he can get you anything. Might want to email him though the store or pm him on the forum.
http://www.under-the-ice.com/

Also might want to ask NoL here, he might be willing to put something together for you but I don't know what type of equipment he has access to.

Back