• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phase question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moocow

Hey guys right now I am in the process of procuring a phase unit.

It is rated for 300w @ -50*C
I am wondering if temps will stay decent if a higher heat load is applied.
In specific, what kind of temps I would be expecting with a 400w-ish heatload on the previously mentioned unit. I am hoping that it could do at least -20*C under full load with a hex core chip. Are those expectations realistic or will temps shoot through the roof once the rated heat load is exceeded.

I've never had one but from what I've read, once you exceed the rated heat load (or a little above, depending on how conservative the rating is) temperatures skyrocket. Well, skyrocket relative to being subzero.

The only experience I have at overloading a phase unit, is using the GTX580 Classified on my cascade. The cascade is rated for -105 C or so at 300 W, but the Classified would make the load temps be around the mid -70s C.

The tempertures will fluxtuate a certain amount when you when you go past the designed load. Aslong as your not overheating the compressor I think your generally okay. I have had mine go all the way up to 35c at the evap before under super heavy loads. The compressor temp was getting rather high at that point.

You might be surprised and fine that it handles the chip just fine even under heavy load, considering that a 300watt unit is quite good sized.

Back