• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X4 925 Overclock Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Man you got to quit that logical crap...

:bang head ...because logic is the bane of hit and hit it harder. To make decisions based on logic means you have to both understand and do with thought and precision. Crap. Hehehe.

Surely the fact that a lot of earlier AMD cpus had IMC issues from trying to run DDR1600 on a weak memory controller with older style high voltage DDR 1600 ram which needed high ram voltage and having problems getting to DDR 1600 and some IMC failures meant that running DDR 1600 could kill your IMC. Right? Oh. I see.

And man this is just freeken far out there when you write:
Alot of folks may disagree, but Prime can be pretty risky if you run it for hours on end (especially on FX chips).
Alot of (economy/mid range) boards can't handle the stress that Prime puts on the other components. The power section in particular can die during a prolonged Prime run...= You specify when, what and how of your statement and we don't write like that in a forum. Forums are for saying anything man. Don't hit me with a bunch of logical stuff. :)

I think Asus has moved to an over current protected VRM section on even a goodly number of their entry level boards of the 990 chipset type, just for the reasons you state about current draw for extended periods of time, with FX-series processors. Probably a good move on Asus' part.

Good post man. Thank you for an idea with good thought behind it before pushing down on any keboard keys. :)

RGone...ster. :chair:

You should really experiment with your RAM in the 1333 MHz range with really tight timings. It's some great performance increase, honestly. Going to experiment woth CAS Latency 6 with this Athlon. Then my RAM shows that much more performance potential when I get my FX back.

Thanks for the replies. Hey, if you look at my screenshot, it says revision RB-C2...on my AMD processor page it shows revision C3. I'm sure this is a noob question, but what happened? Also, I'm at 3.29 CPU, 2115 HT, 1566 memory and 2350 NB. I ran Prime blend for 1 hr 8 mins last night and reached a max temp of 64. No other issues. I'm going to be acquiring a Hyper 212+ in the near future just to provide stability.

Thanks for the replies. Hey, if you look at my screenshot, it says revision RB-C2...on my AMD processor page it shows revision C3. I'm sure this is a noob question, but what happened? Also, I'm at 3.29 CPU, 2115 HT, 1566 memory and 2350 NB. I ran Prime blend for 1 hr 8 mins last night and reached a max temp of 64. No other issues. I'm going to be acquiring a Hyper 212+ in the near future just to provide stability.
Sounds like a good OC.

Temps are a little high, but nothing to worry about yet.

If CPU-Z reports your CPU as RB-C2, it is a C2 stepping CPU.

HT Link normally appears in the lower left-hand corner of the CPU-z "CPU" tab.

I think on the FX CPUs it shows up missing, however.
Fixed with CPU-Z 1.61.3.
:bang head ...because logic is the bane of hit and hit it harder. To make decisions based on logic means you have to both understand and do with thought and precision. Crap. Hehehe.

Surely the fact that a lot of earlier AMD cpus had IMC issues from trying to run DDR1600 on a weak memory controller with older style high voltage DDR 1600 ram which needed high ram voltage and having problems getting to DDR 1600 and some IMC failures meant that running DDR 1600 could kill your IMC. Right? Oh. I see.

And man this is just freeken far out there when you write:
Alot of folks may disagree, but Prime can be pretty risky if you run it for hours on end (especially on FX chips).
Alot of (economy/mid range) boards can't handle the stress that Prime puts on the other components. The power section in particular can die during a prolonged Prime run...= You specify when, what and how of your statement and we don't write like that in a forum. Forums are for saying anything man. Don't hit me with a bunch of logical stuff. :)

I think Asus has moved to an over current protected VRM section on even a goodly number of their entry level boards of the 990 chipset type, just for the reasons you state about current draw for extended periods of time, with FX-series processors. Probably a good move on Asus' part.

Good post man. Thank you for an idea with good thought behind it before pushing down on any keboard keys. :)

RGone...ster. :chair:
Yep. AM3 C2 revision CPUs often have a hard time past 1600, Elpida Hypers not helping the situation. 2.4v? Yep, can kill a CPU. Early Micron D9 was rated 1.8-2.1v for a lot of sticks, makes sense that someone pushed boundaries (by far) and killed a CPU. You can kill (any) CPUs by running like 2.8v DDR2 to reach 1400+ or such DDR2 too, not recommended...

lol

ASUS has always had OCP on VRM by the way. :) OTP is kind of a newer feature, if only MSI had OTP before they set people's computers and houses on fire...

Last edited:
Yeah, we see more problems with MSI boards on this forum than any other major brand. They ain't what they used to be.

The only way to know for sure is to look at the part number on the CPU lid and punch the numbers into: http://www.cpu-world.com/ (left hand side). Of course, you'd have to remove the cooler to do that. It could be that it was misadvertised as a C3.
The CPU has both C2 and C3 versions, just like 955/965s.

The way to know for sure is right in CPU-Z. The stepping information is contained in the CPUID opcode. You can check the model number too, but it isn't necessary.

Gotcha, not really concerned. It's running amazing. Before when I was on max in GW2 with DDR2 stuff and same GPU, I was getting 8 FPS in busy towns. Now I'm getting 20, and it's very playable. Once I upgrade my GPU, I'm hoping for close to 60.

I was recommending he check the part number on the CPU lid because it is conceivable that CPU-z is misreporting the opcode like sometimes it misreports JEDEC frequencies and timings.

What part number?

Like trents said it is printed on the top of the CPU.

I'm assuming he's talking about the one printed on the box...

For C2 steppings the part # would end with "GI" (no quotes)
For C3 steppings the part # would end with "GM"

Pretty sure thats true for all Phenom II processors.... ;)

No, I mean the one found on the metal heat spreader of the CPU itself. That's what I mean by "lid". It could have been packcaged wrong so I wouldn't rely on the box top info.

No, I mean the one found on the metal heat spreader of the CPU itself. That's what I mean by "lid". It could have been packcaged wrong so I wouldn't rely on the box top info.
lol, if a new CPU was packaged wrong, it would be in the news :)

The part number is in both places. :D

Last edited:

I knew what you meant trents, and your right...
The code etched on the heatspreader is the only way to be 100% sure, but if he has the original box I seriously doubt the part# is wrong. :p

Plus, it's easier than pulling the heatsink... :D

Back