• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom ii x4 955 possible heat issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

plasmawolf55

I am currently using HandBrake to compress a video, my CPU cores are at 100% and are averaging about 59C but have maxed at 62C. Should I be worried? I read that the max safe temp was 62, but I don't know if that's for the core or socket?

Those are some high temps on the core. If it's for a short duration of time I wouldn't worry so much. If you are running them for extended periods of time, then taking measures to get them lower is probably a good idea. A list of the components including the case and how many fans will help us help you better. Is the Cpu overclocked and what are your ambient temperatures?

It's short term, only when the cores are at 100%
Case: Xion Echo (2 120mm fans)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2P
CPU: Phenom ii x4 955 3.2ghz (stock speed, stock CPU cooler)
Ambient temprature of 65F
I idle at 50C, btw

When was the last time you cleaned the PC ie...gave it a good dusting? If the Cpu cooler fan is running properly you may want to remove it clean the thermal paste with a coffee filter and alcohol then re-apply new TIM. If that doesn't work a new Cpu Heatsink such as a Coolermaster 212+/Evo is a worthwhile investment. You should see a 15-20c drop in temps using one.

I would do this, pull the stock heatsink off clean the TIM on the cpu and the heatsink with a coffee filter and Isopropyl Alcohol first, see if anything changes. The stock one should be doing a better job of cooling that chip, then it is. I would think the heatsink you linked would be better then the stock one but the CM 212+ will be better then the Arctic one. The Coolermasters have Mail in Rebates pop up on the Egg often, if getting a new heatsink is going to be the solution. I'd wait for the CM to go on sale, I've seen the 212+ go on sale for 29.99 with a $10.00 Mir and the Evo $34.99 with a $10. MIR.

Back