• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phenom x2 550 be unlocked x3 advice and disscusion invited

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
and the value to assign 1.400 according to arkan, does that sound right? dont want to fry my rig ;)

1.40 is a safe voltage. Mind you, that is the total voltage, not how much you add on to the base. Looks like you have core #4 disabled.

Going to church now. Be back in about three hours.

and do i want to change anything else whilst im in there? ill be doing it in a few mins woot!
enjoy @ church catch you later

Well, you might try giving the CPUNB a little bump in voltage (maybe to about 1.2). Sometimes that helps with unlocking cores.

If you find that one or more of the unlocked cores is viable, then before you try to overclock it as an unlocked CPU you should temporarily disable core unlocking and check the core temps as a dual core by running 20 minutes of Prime95 blend with HWMonitor open in the background. Take note of the temp differential between the cores and the CPU (socket) which is up in the TMPINx section of HWMonitor. When you unlock cores you lose the ability to monitor the temps and will only have CPU socket temp to go by. Core temps are more important so if you know the differential between the two (which stays the same whether the cores are locked or unlocked) then you can figure the core temp from the socket temp.

ok with regards to over volting vcore, i was just about to set it to 1.4 when you posted that it was in adition to the already set voltage....but the first increment is 1.0500 after auto so im unsure how to proceed? im going to have to take more photos arent i?

ok so this is my bios settings at the first increments over auto and ??????:facepalm::chair::bang head:bang head:facepalm::chair:

Attachments

• 1349641755877.jpg
    1349641755877.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 1349641740474.jpg
    1349641740474.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 1349641724920.jpg
    1349641724920.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 32
No, no! What I said was not to add 1.4v to the base vcore. What you want is to come away with 1.4 after you add the extra voltage. What you have to figure out is what the "CPU Overvoltage" in your bios is showing. Is it showing the resultant total voltage after you added an increment or is it showing the increment itself? Looks like from your pictures it's showing the total amount after the increment is added.

so cpu overvoltage @ auto =1.344 in cpuid but i add 1 increment in bios and it goes to 1.05000 how can this be? thats still .300 ish less? so do i bump that cpu over voltage till it hits 1.4 or do i need to find the base line in another setting and add the two till i get 1.4?
:arrrraghhhh:
what needed in the pc world is a rev counter type thing that you can just set without all the maths voodoo and guesswork!
(not implying that anyone other than me is using guesswork!)
and to get that setting to 1.4 needs many many clicks on plus--this is scary to n00bz you know!

Last edited:
You subtracted an increment, not added it. Sometimes the "+" and "-" keys are used the opposite of what you expect intuitively. In my bios some of the line item values get bigger with the "+" key and some get smaller and the same with the "-" key. I one doesn't work, try the other.

ok then this is what i know up to now
1- the increments when i start adding start from WAY under the required boot voltage i just been trying it....2 i set it to 1.400 booted prime for 10 mins no trouble so i restarted and tryed x4 with 1.4 and it booted! now im here talking to you im going to p95 now and see what happens!
ok that crashed out in less than 5 seconds but its booting into windows reliably now im going to find the required vcore for a b50 see if thats my problem?!

Last edited:
ok 4th core crashes out after seconds of p95 as does 3 cores @1.4vcore at anything over 3,3ghz so one way of seeing it would be ive gained a core and 2000mhz but as always I WANT MORE! so any tips to wring out the last few mhz? as to now all ive touched is vcore and multi?
also i manually set 1.4000 as vcore but hwmonitor and cpuid both report 1.36/1.37 does this mean i have more headroom for voltage?

Try bumping your vcore up to 1.425. Don't be timid. Unsafe vcore range is well over 1.5. That's not taking into account stress testing temps but it should be safe to boot and begin a Prime95 stress test. Just have HWMonitor open before and during the stress test.

Do you have HWMonitor open to monitor temps?

erm sorta..... as in i have it open and i have made a note of the temp dif......but i cant find the scrap of paper i scrawled it on! im going to have to do it again arent i? although i was under the impression it would shut down before it would melt/overheat?

Usually, the computer will BSOD or restart if the CPU gets too hot. But you don't want to count on that.

Popeye, it's easy to have HWMonitor open. Also, it would be helpful from this point if you would attach pics of these things with your posts so we can see what you see and advise.

Back