• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom x4 955 BE overclocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Welcome KrpaZG, if you could use the in forum attachment tool to upload photos that would be great. That way those links don't eventually become dead ones. Anyhow nice overclocks, as far as disabling cores yes you can, but I believe that it is motherboard dependent though.

Welcome KrpaZG, if you could use the in forum attachment tool to upload photos that would be great. That way those links don't eventually become dead ones. Anyhow nice overclocks, as far as disabling cores yes you can, but I believe that it is motherboard dependent though.

Well, I didnt find any options in my bios to disable cores, I have a 970a-ud3 mbo rev 1.2 with LLC, so that's a good thing....now I'm looking to get a fx 8320 and 7870 to get some decent overclock's and bench's...

Attachments

• overclock2.png
    overclock2.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 75
  • overclock1.png
    overclock1.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 76
I looked online and found this, looks like you can un lock/lock cores.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    22.2 KB · Views: 77
Thank you Mandrake4565 I managed to disable 3 cores and I got a bit further.
http://valid.canardpc.com/2721006
Im confused, because I managed to hit 4625mhz with 1.664v with 4 cores active, and by disabling 3 cores i managed 4700mhz with only 1.536v.
So I thought I could hit 5ghz but I couldn't...when I bumbed the multiplier to 24X or 4800mhz I couldn't boot into windows at all....why cant I go any further?

You won't hit 5ghz without going subzero, you have gone about as far as you could go on air for a validation, and you can probably knock 2-300mhz off that clock for benchmarking/stability, no matter what voltages you put into it, it won't go any further, its just the limit on ambient temps

You're multi will be probably be maxed at 23.5 and you will have to use the ref clock from now on to gain any sort of improvement on clock speed

Ok I thought so too. How is someone hitting 5-6ghz with extreme cooling? The main difference is temperatures, I know that, but how is extreme cooling affecting on the overclock capabilities of a cpu?

Electrical current flowing through circuits encounters resistance and this produces heat. Heat itself increases the resistance to the flow of electricity (in this case, electrical data bits). If there is enough resistance then the flow of data bits is disrupted which results in data errors or instability. The only way to break through this is to push the data bits harder with higher voltages. This in turn creates more heat which again raises the resistance to flow so you have to raise the voltage higher to overcome this . . . until you reach a point where the high voltage endangers/damages components. Drastically increasing cooling efficiency through extreme cooling measures reduces heat which reduces resistance which reduces data errors which enables you to overclock higher.

Electrical current flowing through circuits encounters resistance and this produces heat. Heat itself increases the resistance to the flow of electricity (in this case, electrical data bits). If there is enough resistance then the flow of data bits is disrupted which results in data errors or instability. The only way to break through this is to push the data bits harder with higher voltages. This in turn creates more heat which again raises the resistance to flow so you have to raise the voltage higher to overcome this . . . until you reach a point where the high voltage endangers/damages components. Drastically increasing cooling efficiency through extreme cooling measures reduces heat which reduces resistance which reduces data errors which enables you to overclock higher.

Ok tnx 4 info.
Could I hit higher clocks with a better air cooler like NH-D14? Or I need something like liquid nitrogen and a pot?

You would probably need some form of extreme cooling like C02 or LN to go higher than you are though with a good "chilled" water system you might get 5.0. None of those things are 24/7 solutions, however.

Of course, thats just for validation/bench...my cpu for 24/7 is on 4ghz with 1.4v under load...
Well I have some friends that have a pot so I need to get some LN and get to clocking :))
Is extreme clocking different to clock? I mean bump the multiplier and Vcore and thats it? I should get some nice oc's?

Of course, thats just for validation/bench...my cpu for 24/7 is on 4ghz with 1.4v under load...
Well I have some friends that have a pot so I need to get some LN and get to clocking :))
Is extreme clocking different to clock? I mean bump the multiplier and Vcore and thats it? I should get some nice oc's?

I'm the wrong person to ask about that. There is an extreme cooling section on the forum, I believe.

I've been able to get 5.2 with a pot on a 955 using multipler and voltages only. You may need to adjust more than just vcore though.

To get higher, I had to push the NB up, all CPU-related voltages, and I also had to use the FSB once I broke 5.5ish. My particular chip survived being pushed up to 5.71, but that was it. I've been told these get up to 6-6.5 on lHe, but you'd need to sort through chips to touch at that.

Last edited:
To get crazy speeds you need crazy voltages, you will be looking at 1.75v+ for high clocks, those sort of voltages would kill a chip on boot up at ambient, and they don't last long at sub zero when pushing them, if you want to push it subzero you must be prepared to lose it, if you're fine with that, then be careful as once you start using cold you can't stop lol

How much voltage u needed for 5.71ghz? How where the temps?

I think I was at 1.685, it was a long time ago. Temps were something like negative 190 ish. Liquid Nitrogen haha. I didn't break or damage the chip, but if I tried F@h or something on it for a day I'd expect an electrical poo pile where my CPU used to be.

Back