• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Picked a Phenom II x4, now need MB!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Compman55

Registered
Ok I need help picking a motherboard. I need AM3 to be future proof. What board should I get. I kinda got a bad taste with my Gigabyte GA-7VRXP and its preceding boards following, but if Gigabyte had changed, I guess I am ok.

I really like my asus crosshair III formula. It takes my oc without falling to its knees. I just wish it had 3 pci-e slots instead of 2. But hey i got the 890FX to look forward to.

Are you looking for high OC'ing or a more economical board? High OC 790FX boards (and soon, the 890FX boards) are fairly expensive running $165-180. The 790X boards are the next step down and are very popular for reasonable prices ($105-140) as well as good OC's. I would pass on the 790GX boards unless you want on-board video or are looking for a cheap, but fair, OC'er. In any case I would also look for good MOSFET cooling. Many boards, especially the cheaper ones, have no heatsink on their power chips, which is never a good thing if you'll be cranking up the vCore for a better-than-average overclock. I'm sorry to say none of the nVidia boards have a good record for more than average OC's and AMD chipsets don't allow SLI. though you can run any single video card on them.

Gigabyte has really stepped up to the plate with the AMD 790X and 790FX chipsets. ASUS also makes some very good boards (as well as a few OC duds in the G/GX series) and MSI has one or two that are also good clockers. DFI boards have been a let-down, to say the least, with bad BIOS updates and some other odd issues - I'd skip them this round. Biostar makes a couple of good boards in the lower price range.

As col_sanders just hinted, the 890X and 890FX boards will be out in about a month. No word as to how much better they are, if any, over the 790X and 790FX for overclocking ...

Last edited:
No overclocking, just future proofing. I kept my P4 Prescott since 06'. Still running now, although being dated.

Then you'd be looking for things like SATA III and USB 3.0 as well as an AM3 board. Some of the 790X and 790FX boards have that but you'll have to look closely. I'm pretty sure I read that SATA III is part of the 890 spec - don't know about USB 3.0 being part of it or not ...

If you want future proof you might want wait for AMD to release it's 6 core CPU soon.

ive bought about 6 7 motherboards this week and taken them all back to the store i also built 3 computers msi is the **** somehow i ended up with all msi differnt all differnt models go msi or gigabyte

Back