• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Picking a board for 7700K or 7600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max0r

I would consider choosing a motherboard to be one of the most complicated parts of part-picking, although once the potential selection has been researched, the choice may become rather simple. It's just that there will be a lot of information to chew through. I'm pretty overwhelmed right now but I'll just keep on keepin' on until the fog clears.

I'm probably going to get a 7700K for my new system, a bit less likely 7600K. Not sure if that makes any difference. Either way, I guess I'm looking at the Z270 chipset, and I'd like a bit of input regarding motherboard selection and key differences that could make one board more desirable compared to the other.

As I do more research I'll have a better idea of some differences and trade-offs, but there's a good chance I will fail to keep certain things in mind.

What I'm looking for:

1. Build quality for long years of stable 24/7 overclocking
2. Don't need bleeding edge overclocking/performance, but should still be solid
3. Looks good, lots of pretty lights (subjective, if doing so doesn't detract from other things or add to cost too much ;))
4. Good/decent stock storage/RAID chipset/s
5. Multi-video card not necessary, now that i've considered it
6. Kick-*** UEFI as it is called now (or are they all basically the same?)
7. Extra convenience/function features
8. If possible, not costing top dollar. But don't want to compromise too much to get a low price tag.
9. Consistent quality, not having to cycle through defectives to get a good one which seems like a major factor with a lot of these boards (yea I know, I'm no fun, not at this time anyway ;))
10. Can do 64 GB RAM at a reasonably good spec
EDIT: 11. If this is even a thing anymore, thought I'd add that if there's onboard audio it doesn't have any weird interference or bleed issues

What I'm concerned or curious about:

1. Core platform differences that may be significant in the near future for compatibility or performance, which I may not be aware of
2. RAM slots, max RAM capacity per slot, channels, speeds, and what not, gotta do more research
3. RAM compatibility issues, finicky/choosy motherboards
4. What are the main significant differences between the boards?
5. Unusual sizes/form-factors that might affect case choice

Last edited:
God what a cluster****. I'm about ready to just pick the prettiest one with the best reviews that's in a mid-level price range and make sure it doesn't have any dealbreakers. ;)

God what a cluster****. I'm about ready to just pick the prettiest one with the best reviews that's in a mid-level price range and make sure it doesn't have any dealbreakers. ;)

Id do this... it really isnt rocket science as boards are so strikingly similar performamce wise between them. It really comes down to features you need and want, color, and price.

Dont make it more complicated than it needs to be. :)

A PC computer technician recently said gigabyte is more dependable than ASUS for longevity.
lol, so random and anecdotal.

I have been very pleased with overclocking and the Bios with Gigabyte in the last 6 years. A PC computer technician recently said gigabyte is more dependable than ASUS for longevity.

Pretty much made me laugh considering how many failed PCB designs they had, how many revisions of each motherboard, how many issues with memory support ( in best case fixed after about half year ) ... list is long. And BIOS ... really ? You haven't been benching on these boards much it seems. In couple of cases some options were not working or were limited ( timings, voltages etc ). I even made a guide for gigabyte forums so users could set RAID on their 990FX boards as even their technicians didn't know why it's not working while it was their fault that they failed BIOS. I had 5 RMA on Z87/Z97 OC/SOC boards ... even a guy who bought from me Z97 mobo ( after RMA replacement ) made RMA 2 months later.

Really it looks like this. If you don't know what to pick then ASUS is always good. Not always perfect but keeps good quality. The same ASRock which is probably the most often recommended brand on OCF in last 2-3 years. MSI is recently solid but has also worse boards. EVGA is just right for gaming but good luck while harder benching. Gigabyte is like when you pick the right board then you will be happy. If not then you will curse this company for years. About the same is with Biostar.

Couple of years ago I was recommending Gigabyte but now I try to stick to ASRock, ASUS and MSI ( MSI also depends which series ). It doesn't mean that I won't recommend any GB board or that I won't buy any of their boards ( like I did with AB350 Gaming 3 ) but recently I see that MSI offers about the same in about the same price but somehow better.

Last edited:
Pretty much made me laugh considering how many failed PCB designs they had, how many revisions of each motherboard, how many issues with memory support ( in best case fixed after about half year ) ... list is long. And BIOS ... really ? You haven't been benching on these boards much it seems. In couple of cases some options were not working or were limited ( timings, voltages etc ). I even made a guide for gigabyte forums so users could set RAID on their 990FX boards as even their technicians didn't know why it's not working while it was their fault that they failed BIOS. I had 5 RMA on Z87/Z97 OC/SOC boards ... even a guy who bought from me Z97 mobo ( after RMA replacement ) made RMA 2 months later.

Really it looks like this. If you don't know what to pick then ASUS is always good. Not always perfect but keeps good quality. The same ASRock which is probably the most often recommended brand on OCF in last 2-3 years. MSI is recently solid but has also worse boards. EVGA is just right for gaming but good luck while harder benching. Gigabyte is like when you pick the right board then you will be happy. If not then you will curse this company for years. About the same is with Biostar.

Couple of years ago I was recommending Gigabyte but now I try to stick to ASRock, ASUS and MSI ( MSI also depends which series ). It doesn't mean that I won't recommend any GB board or that I won't buy any of their boards ( like I did with AB350 Gaming 3 ) but recently I see that MSI offers about the same in about the same price but somehow better.

Your Gigabyte review makes me laugh when Gigabyte is right behind Asus in motherboard sales at the time of your problems link: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Asus-Gigabyte-Sales-Business-Motherboard,22078.html and I did not see any major recall or problems like you are describing from any review sites. I think you just had some bad luck like I have had with Asus quality and customer support.:mad:

Your Gigabyte review makes me laugh when Gigabyte is right behind Asus in motherboard sales at the time of your problems link: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Asus-Gigabyte-Sales-Business-Motherboard,22078.html and I did not see any major recall or problems like you are describing from any review sites. I think you just had some bad luck like I have had with Asus quality and customer support.:mad:

Since when reviewers tell the whole truth ? :p Also who said that high sales = good quality ? Lower price = higher sales = probably some cuts .. but on what ? quality ? .. I'm not saying what but all this is related.
ASUS had terrible support for couple of years but somehow they were selling more motherboards than Gigabyte ... when Gigabyte was clearly better choice.

I work in IT for about 14 years and for couple of years I was working in distribution ( now I'm more connected to them but I work mainly with business clients ). I just saw what is going back for RMA and what issues were with these boards. It's not my bad luck. I have bad luck with every brand and that can tell you our benching team members. I made RMA on every mobo brand. Some multiple and I still think they're worth to recommend.
I can say something about motherboards when I'm building computers based on them for years and each generation I have at least 3-4 motherboards per socket at home. Not to mention review samples and clients hardware.
You can ask anyone who sticks to benching what is their top choice and most will tell you that ASUS and ASRock. You are probably the only one who in every thread about "what mobo should I buy ?" recommends Gigabyte. How many boards you had that you can recommend them ? I see 1 per generation and not even these more popular. I can be wrong as I'm not following your hardware. It's more that you are recommending Gigabyte because you stick to this brand and had bad experience with ASUS support ( which still sucks, especially in US ).

had bad experience with ASUS support ( which still sucks, especially in US ).

It still sucks in Europe... Only reason why I would buy any type of Asus hardware is good bargain on second hand (€290 for lappy in sig was worth it IMO, and it is out of warranty anyway :p).

I wouldnt equate sales with reliability too closely...
I'm going by complaints over the years and I'm tired of ASUS motherboard complaints even though gigabyte comes in second in sales.

Since when reviewers tell the whole truth ? :p Also who said that high sales = good quality ? Lower price = higher sales = probably some cuts .. but on what ? quality ? .. I'm not saying what but all this is related.
ASUS had terrible support for couple of years but somehow they were selling more motherboards than Gigabyte ... when Gigabyte was clearly better choice.

I work in IT for about 14 years and for couple of years I was working in distribution ( now I'm more connected to them but I work mainly with business clients ). I just saw what is going back for RMA and what issues were with these boards. It's not my bad luck. I have bad luck with every brand and that can tell you our benching team members. I made RMA on every mobo brand. Some multiple and I still think they're worth to recommend.
I can say something about motherboards when I'm building computers based on them for years and each generation I have at least 3-4 motherboards per socket at home. Not to mention review samples and clients hardware.
You can ask anyone who sticks to benching what is their top choice and most will tell you that ASUS and ASRock. You are probably the only one who in every thread about "what mobo should I buy ?" recommends Gigabyte. How many boards you had that you can recommend them ? I see 1 per generation and not even these more popular. I can be wrong as I'm not following your hardware. It's more that you are recommending Gigabyte because you stick to this brand and had bad experience with ASUS support ( which still sucks, especially in US ).
With approximately 4.9 million Gigabyte motherboards sold in one quarter I don't see problems in the forums like I do with ASUS at 5.0 million motherboards sold per quarter. You keep talking about benching, very few people around the world do it and you could probably name the top 50 compared to people who buy motherboards. The reason I buy Gigabyte is I don't need to keep buying a lot of motherboard like you do, Gigabyte just works well overclocking, then I just use it like most people. People that buy Gigabyte motherboards assemble the RIG maybe overclock because they make the bios user friendly then there done so they can move on in life. People that buy ASUS motherboards need all kinds of help in the forums all the time. Also everytime there is a problem with someones PC the majority is ASUS. I have been keeping track of what motherboard have problems in forurms since 2011 .

You have to ask your self why am I the only one that has a Gigabyte motherboard in this forum who post frequently, when approximately 4.9 million Gigabyte motherboards sold in one quarter?

None of the motherboard manufacturers' customer/tech support gets good marks in my experience. They are all bad.

Back