• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Picking a board for my upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prunecandy

So I plan on buying a i7 4790k or 4770k (new or used depending on the deal i can get) next week and need a new mobo to go with it.
Fry's by my house has a deal on a asus z87 cross vi for 129 today and I might just pick it up since my price range is around $150.
Should I pick it up and not think about it anymore or is there another board that I should consider? Also I know the board is compatible with the 4790k after a bios update, but I don't want to sacrifice any performance.
I've been a gigabyte fan for a while now so this will be a change.
Also been looking at the new ud3 and aserocks.

I do a little bit of overclocking, but mostly this board will be my daily gamer.

Thanks,

I kinda like the AsRock Extreme 6 for single card gaming applications right now, Possibly the Extreme 9 for multi card set ups

Not sure what Fry's is asking for them though, do they have bundle deals like Micro Center? if so you can get a lot of bang for your buck :)

I kinda like the AsRock Extreme 6 for single card gaming applications right now, Possibly the Extreme 9 for multi card set ups

Not sure what Fry's is asking for them though, do they have bundle deals like Micro Center? if so you can get a lot of bang for your buck :)
They do on occasion but they are usually only for low end stuff. :/

I got there looked at the Asus and changed my mind. My set up is blue and white so red would screw me haha.

I think I am going to go with the extreme 4 or 6. They look great and the review for the six that was posted here a while back may have convinced me haha

ASRock Extreme 6 is the best Z97 board $150ish can buy. dual full length M.2 slots. One is ultra M.2. Awesome. 12 phase VRM too.

Definitely get a Z97 board and definitely get the 4790K. Buying yesterday's technology makes no sense to me.

You know a 4790K is not a huge improvement over a 3570K right? Especially for gaming. You won't be gaining much. you're basically buying it for the Sata Express and M.2.... and the full Sata 3 PCH support instead of just 2 SATA 3 ports. It's essentially a platform upgrade you're doing.

ASRock Extreme 6 is the best Z97 board $150ish can buy. dual full length M.2 slots. One is ultra M.2. Awesome. 12 phase VRM too.

Definitely get a Z97 board and definitely get the 4790K. Buying yesterday's technology makes no sense to me.

You know a 4790K is not a huge improvement over a 3570K right? Especially for gaming. You won't be gaining much. you're basically buying it for the Sata Express and M.2.... and the full Sata 3 PCH support instead of just 2 SATA 3 ports. It's essentially a platform upgrade you're doing.

I should have mentioned this part. I am giving my mobo and processor to my gf and upgrading her 955be machine :) which means upgrade time for me haha.
Thanks for the input. I think I'm set on the extreme 6

+1

If not a 4790K, then why not just go down to the i5 version 4690K instead of the 3570K?
Since you just mentioned not buying yesterday's tech, might as well keep with Devil's Canyon and just go for the i5 and save ~$100 vs the 4790K.

+1

If not a 4790K, then why not just go down to the i5 version 4690K instead of the 3570K?
Since you just mentioned not buying yesterday's tech, might as well keep with Devil's Canyon and just go for the i5 and save ~$100 vs the 4790K.

I'm with this too. +1 from a ShrimpUnderWater :thup:

Please write in complete sentences so people can understand you.:-/

If he wants a "real upgrade" to an i7, then why not choose the 4790K?
I'm just trying to understand where your 3570K suggestion is coming from, seeing as that's an i5, and yesterday's tech, which you advised against.

If he wants a "real upgrade" to an i7, then why not choose the 4790K?
I'm just trying to understand where your 3570K suggestion is coming from, seeing as that's an i5, and yesterday's tech, which you advised against.

You must have misread. I never suggested a 3570K. It's an inferior platform. No Sata Express, no M.2, only 2 PCH SATA 3 ports.
Garbage.

Have a good night.

You used it as a comparison here. I think you were trying to convince the OP to use the new platform, but that was never in question.

So why are you asking me if I recommended it then? I don't understand....

I'm not asking, I had originally presumed you recommended it because of the way you phrased your post.

I guess I just misread it. Either way, it's not worth ruffling feathers over.
My apologies, let's just move onward and try and help the OP.

the extreme6 will fill your bill very well indeed for a single gpu setup, pleny of features, stout board.
the 4790k is a good cpu and you can configure it any way you need it.

4790K +2

With both cosule platforms using 8 core CPU's it would seem logical developers would start to utilize more cores.

Back