• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Picking the optimal CPU for gaming from this list

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbieOneKenobi

Gaming + relatively light desktop use. I'm trying to help a friend, but I'm not really well versed in AMD. His mobo is the Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2L (nForce), and here is the CPU list. I think Phenom II is the best/strongest line of processors here, but I'm not sure about the practical significance of X3, X4 and X6 or whether the best individual processor on the list will necessarily be one from the strongest line. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Yep, the Phenom II x6 1100T would be the top and the 1090T a very close second.

The X6 represents 6 cores and will be the most beneficial with multi core capable games.

Yep, the Phenom II x6 1100T would be the top and the 1090T a very close second.

The X6 represents 6 cores and will be the most beneficial with multi core capable games.

Thank you. What about X4 965 if it costs 60% of the price of a 1090T, is it still better to go for the six-core as I think it is?

Thanks. I have one more doubt. It says N/A in 'BIOS version' ib the list. Can it mean this particular processor is listed as not supported?

EDIT: Oh yes, it does. Argh. Seems X6 are all out of the question and X4 above 955 too. It's a mostly 95W board, apparently. Pity for my friend but makes my job easier.

Last edited:
a 1090/1100 also has a better feature set than a 965 and the throughput per core is better.

That's very interesting. It appears you are correct. It's weird that it is listed as AM3 compatible but only certain ones. That doesn't mean that the 1100T would not work, it's just not supported (i.e. engineered for).My thoughts are that the power section for this board is not stout enough for the 125W CPU's and the fact that it is not heatsinked is another good indicator of this theory. If you wanted to play it safe and stay on the supported list then your best choice would be the Phenom II x4 955 (95W variant). If you wanted to gamble a bit then you could try the Phenom II x6 1065T (95W) though it's probably not a huge improvement over the 955.

That's odd Bob. Why does the other CPU-Support page show that it (the PII X4 955) is supported?

Don't put more than a Phenom II X4 on that board, the VRM is atrociously undersized.
I'd be hesitant to put more than a 65W TDP CPU in that motherboard.

Back