• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pics of Chevette Heatercore? who has em?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just stretched fittings over my fedco 2-342 HC. It was surprisingly easy. you boil the end of the tube for about a minute (make sure it isn't touching the pot or it can melt), the get plyers and open them in the tube to stretch it, the grab one side of the tubes with the plyers, place the other side on the pipe, and stretch the other side over with the plyers. works like a charm.

Here is my old setup.....

water5.JPG

nice job. did you pain only the side of the HC? or the fins as well? I'm planning on a similar mounting for my res, it's good to see it in action.

nice looking setup Yourself! looks so clean!
I like your res! and your HC looks very nice painted, doesn't that hold in the heat a bit though?
and that looks like really loooong graphics card!

you can also go with a remote cooler and just run the lines into the case back. I do this with a pelt chiller setup. The water cooler is almost exactly like this one

http://www.techcool.com/vpc/watersale.htm

scroll down to the tc4000

I bought one of the prototypes 18months ago and use it for my pelt chillers hot side.
wj

awesome thread.....I'm getting the same heat core ;)

Is there any other important info regarding this heat core that I should know? do's and don't etc.

Thanks

invisible hand said:
Is there any other important info regarding this heat core that I should know? do's and don't etc.

Thanks
Well, as with any heatercore/rad, be careful threading bolts through them. I know now I would have been better off securing my fans with straight-through zip ties, but hindsight's always 20/20 and all that jazz.... works fine and no leaks either way though.
isnt it the antec? hows the rbx n the maze gpu? and one more question why did you put the res up there?
Thanks for the complements guys :D. The case is actually a chieftec (same thing really) dragon matrix. The block is a WW, and the gpu is a fusionHL. If you want a gpu block, I highly recommend the fusionHL, it's really effective.

As to the rez, I don't know why I put it on top. I had some sort of reason for it at the time, but it's lost now. Maybe it would have been better to put it below the drives in case of a leak, but so far I haven't had to worry about that.
thegame said:
nice rig acid, but damn it looks like someone took a **** in your system :rolleyes: :eek:
Hehe....I drank alot of mountain dew first, can't you tell? ;)

rage,

Stretching the tubing over the pipes isn't hard, but does require some persistence. :) I used 1/2"ID Clearflex 60 thick walled tubing in my system and I manged to get it on the pipes. Boiling water should do the trick, but one pipe is pretty large and I had to use a pair of pliers to "pre-stretch" the tube before wrestling it on the pipe. I heated the Clearflex and stuck the head of the pliers inside the tubing and pulled the handles apart to stretch the tubing. Then I reheated the tubing and it went on much easier.

The pipes on the Chevette HC are pretty tough, you would probably not be able to tighten a steel worm clamp to the point of damaging a pipe. You would risk ruining your tubing though. Tightening the worm clamp too far can cut through the soft tubes, so that should be avoided. When you look at the HC's pipes you will see they have a ridge near the end that will help retain the tubing with just a bit of tightening on your clamps.

Good luck.

SOShootME said:
rage,

Stretching the tubing over the pipes isn't hard, but does require some persistence. :) I used 1/2"ID Clearflex 60 thick walled tubing in my system and I manged to get it on the pipes. Boiling water should do the trick, but one pipe is pretty large and I had to use a pair of pliers to "pre-stretch" the tube before wrestling it on the pipe. I heated the Clearflex and stuck the head of the pliers inside the tubing and pulled the handles apart to stretch the tubing. Then I reheated the tubing and it went on much easier.

The pipes on the Chevette HC are pretty tough, you would probably not be able to tighten a steel worm clamp to the point of damaging a pipe. You would risk ruining your tubing though. Tightening the worm clamp too far can cut through the soft tubes, so that should be avoided. When you look at the HC's pipes you will see they have a ridge near the end that will help retain the tubing with just a bit of tightening on your clamps.

Good luck.
Thanks for the head up :)
I am now ertain I am going with the following....
Chevette 86 HC
Swiftech MCP600
and the Swiftech MCW6002-A
and then tubing and hose clamps etc will come from the local hardware store
and no res, as I'm goin t-line instead
last thing is some type of water wetter or soemthing, how this stuff?

[KX3]rAge said:
Thanks for the head up :)
I am now ertain I am going with the following....
Chevette 86 HC
Swiftech MCP600
and the Swiftech MCW6002-A
and then tubing and hose clamps etc will come from the local hardware store
and no res, as I'm goin t-line instead
last thing is some type of water wetter or soemthing, how this stuff?

just use 10% antifreeze instead of that stuff

or get some vw/audi coolants. nice and blue and works great and non-staining. That hydrx stuff stained my tubes.

situman said:
or get some vw/audi coolants. nice and blue and works great and non-staining. That hydrx stuff stained my tubes.
Alright, I'll try to go for that, if I can find some
there's a VW dealership about 20 mins away, they may have some...

SOShootME said:
invisible hand,

I got the directions from this thread by WetWilly:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=146856&highlight=wetwilly

I sealed any gaps around the tupperware with silicone sealant that dries clear.

BigSmokey also came up with a variation on this design. You can read about that here:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=254786&highlight=BigSmokey

Good luck. :)
Awesome, Interesting threads there,
had a nice read! thanks
Another question, are 2x120mm silenX 58CFM 14dBa fans in a oush/pull configuration plenty to cool the chevette heatercore??
I gotta stay as silent as possible!

I have only one 120mm fan on my HC. I have it running at 7v and it is fairly quiet. It is a Sunon 120x38mm that puts out over 100cfm at 12v, but is crazy loud that way.

My temps (per the Shuttle BIOS) are high judging by what others here get. My XP1700 runs 24/7 at 2400mhz, 1.775vcore, 35C idle, up to 50C under load sometimes, and it never ever crashes. Since it isn't crashing I am happy.

So I am sure your two 54cfm fans will work great for you. Successful water cooling is nothing more than achieving the balance of performance vs noise that works for you. If your system is stable and as quiet as you like it, you don't need to worry if someone else is running at temps that are 1, 5, or even 10C lower than yours. It isn't a competition. Right? :)

Back