• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Pictures of A Dead Delta Fan and It's Internal Parts █ NO 56K-TONS OF PICS █

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay bing, postet it first in another thread here, i tried today to disassemble my beloved TFC1212DE, because its PWM-Wire is missing. I hoped to simply solder a new one on the pcb. Disassembling was no problem but there was no way to me to take the circuit board out of the fan's frame. Now its dead :-(

First here comes the power unit of thats fan circuit board. But the wires are attached behind, thats why i tried to remove the board from the fan's frame hub cover. But this
didn' work as expected.
I should have drilled a hole above the soldering spots location.

tfc1212de_stator2b02v.jpg
tfc1212de_pcb1x52j.jpg
tfc1212de_pcb2d7eq.jpg

Thank you for these shots ! :thup:

One thing I love about this particular Delta TF series, apart from the mean looking blades shape, its the weight, not sure how its so light compared to other Delta industrial high speed 38 thick fan, but yet still powerful. Do you agree with my observation ?

Please post pic of the impeller at the inside, I'm curious whether its using different magnet that have less weight but still has strong magnet. Also this will make the fan has better efficiency compared to other that has heavy magnet.

Bing, you're right, i think the TFx-Series isn's that heavy as the other 120x38mm series because of the Hubs design. It takes not the whole depht of the frame. Perhaps it would fit (regarding other blades) in an 25mm thick frame. The magnet is as thick as usual i guess. Interesting is the yellow material fixed in the impellers hub looking like chewing gum (my girlfriend thought it would be chewing gum for real :), maybe for balancing the impeller like it is usual to do with car wheels when changing tires. Here are the shots:

delta_tfc1212de_impell9u9h.jpg
delta_tfc1212de_impellvutg.jpg
delta_tfc1212de_impellluab.jpg

Tell me if you know a way to spare the PCB from the center brass tube to access the rear part of it where the wires are fixed. Maybe there will be another Delta coming for repair.

Thanks for the impeller magnet shots, yeah, the magnet is definitely shorter than other delta high speed fan, hence lighter, but looking at it's performance, this is still a quite powerful fan. I guess that magnet is stonger.

Honestly, I don't have any idea how to dismantle the circuit board and the stator easily without destroying the fan. Looks like they're using single way latch somewhere in there and once locked, its almost impossible to unlock it, not sure though. :(

Finally, i got time to try the disassembling of the dead Delta GFB0912SHG-F00, which caught me some injure last autumn.
img_5934v67qi.jpg
Same as on the TFC1212DE: there's absolutly no way to dismantle the fan to its parts without destroy them for ever.

First i tried to drill the center brass hub to get the impeller loose. it took my some try but finally the impeller broke up.
img_648656ymd.jpg
img_648708azr.jpg
img_6491inlu9.jpg

Now the pcb shows it's back side. Surprisingly, there are no electronic parts on it. Maybe it's why the fan is no pwm-fan and therefor it need less electronic parts:
img_6490cuzwm.jpg

I wondered if i could disassemble the fan by removing the rear impeller, so i drilled it's brass hub to get it loose. It was easier then the front hub because i decided to just drill the brass not the steel axis or the cover.
img_6492pgzqm.jpg
But the same: no electronic parts, ne screws, no plastic nipple to be able to get something loosen. But you can see the small bearings now. No manufacturer sign visible.
img_6495ywbho.jpg
After that i decided to brake up the circuit board, that finally shows me that the fan definately is no pwm fan at all. There is no connection for that:
img_64970czc3.jpg
img_6498yplpu.jpg
The pcb completely removed, but the fans hub still there, no way to get it loose. The fan offers absolutely no way to maintance:
img_6500gwlig.jpg

Anyone who wants a 92mm x 50,8mm fan shroud? :)
Thanks.

Finally, i got time to try the disassembling of the dead Delta GFB0912SHG-F00, which caught me some injure last autumn.

Same as on the TFC1212DE: there's absolutly no way to dismantle the fan to its parts without destroy them for ever.

Hey Nothor, thanks for sharing, looks eerie. :cry:

Hows the fan looks like at the front ? No bearing clip to loose at the center of the hub as my Delta at the 1st post ?

Now the pcb shows it's back side. Surprisingly, there are no electronic parts on it. Maybe it's why the fan is no pwm-fan and therefor it need less electronic parts:

You don't need to be an electronic expert to know that between two identical fans, pwm version is definitely more expensive than it's 3 or 2 wires brethren, even they have the same performance specification. Those electronic components at the pwm version actually quite expensive from material budget point of view in building this fan.

Just a thought i haven't read all the comments yet so take this as you will but have you thought of taking the broken fan blades and replacing the fan structure with the one that had the broken circuit board thing so now you have 1 broken and one working not sure if that will work of if the one with the broken fan blades is even functional but just me 2 cents

Thanks for bringing this back. I missed it the first time.

And thanks to bing for the OP. Very nice. You take great photos.

@ Horrerblade: The central problem is to disassemble the rotor with the blades from the PCB-section, referring to the GFB-Fan-series. There's no way. By normal Fan series i should work, when the impeller magnets and axis diameter will fit to each other. Maybe there some slight differences in space and margins, so perhaps it would not fit even when it looks like it would first.

sorry for reactivating this thread, but recently having dismantled an old datech fan. impressive small bearings inside:

img_1492cmjuy.jpg

Are the bearings rod bearings or ball bearings?

Interesting pics and explanations. I never realized how complicated PWM
fans were. Are car radiator electric fans similarly complex? Or are they just
on/off?

Are the bearings rod bearings or ball bearings?

Interesting pics and explanations. I never realized how complicated PWM
fans were. Are car radiator electric fans similarly complex? Or are they just
on/off?

Ball, for these Deltas.

Typically on/off.

hi,
I just found this site while browsing the net: -> link

so I was wondering if those techniques can be applied to clean a fan with ball bearings too (the one on the link, are mentioned to maintain a skateboard bearings).

I'm really bad on fixing any mechanical related stuff,
so probably that link just wasn't meant for me.
but if somebody decide to do it, please share your results.

cheers

Should be able to, as long as the shield isn't staked in.
They're a lot smaller so it'll be delicate work, but the actual bearing design is largely unchanged from fan size up through car size ball bearings.

Interesting pics and explanations. I never realized how complicated PWM fans were. Are car radiator electric fans similarly complex? Or are they just on/off?
Depends on the car. The older ones pretty much are on/off, but the ones in many newer cars are variable speed. What's variable speed in pretty much every car nowadays is the evaporator fan for the HVAC.

All the complex electronics inside are really just a specialized form of motor inverter or VFD. Some use DSPs and others only analog circuits, but they all work to convert the DC to 2 or 3 phase AC to drive the actual motor.

nothor, to remove the TFC1212DE board, all you had to do, was take a pair of vice grips, get a grip on the center of the magnets on each side with not to much force, or you'll kill it. The twist, it comes right off. it's held on by superglue XD.

Anyways, nothor, do you by anychance have your TFC's impeller still? One of mine broke and i wanna zombine your impeller onto the motor :D

Arkade, sorry, i'm affraid not having the impeller stored. The only thing i held were the bearings. but you're right, since the impellers were most in danger to get broken, it would have been a good idea to keep them.

Damn, well i don't wanna murder it. Hopefully someone can show up with parts for the TFC1212DE.

Nothor, could i sang a single bearing. I might have broke on of mine, also, I am..... Making a replacement Impeller using injection molding. After doing a serious 3D surface scan at the Lab, we MIGHT be able to make another, then move the hub to the other impeller. Wish me luck, Should have it done on wensday.

Back