• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PII 233 @ 333, should i worry about heat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hooziewhatsit

hey, i have an old PII233 on an i440lx mobo, i just realized that i could oc it with jumpers on the mobo... should I be worried about heat with it? I think the fan on it is trying to die, so I was going to get a new one... it has frozen a couple times in windows while it was at 300 or faster...
any ideas?

thanks

I would replace the fan. If it stops and you don´t notice it a "meltdown" could occur. I stopped the fan on my P3-600 when clocked to 900. In a matter of minutes it got from its regular temp of 28C to 55C and then I didn´t dare to go more.

If you get a new heatsink+fan you probably can relax. In the old days I got a regular Pentium200MMX to 290MHz and it´s still going at that.

/GM

Some more thoughts

If you still experience lockups in Windows it may be the memory thats not measuring up. If you have only PC66 SDRAM they might lockup with 83Mhz or more busspeed. I wouldn´t go above 83Mhz. If it locks, try 75Mhz for a while and see. It may also be possible to change the multiplier on your CPU. It is a safer way to overclock. You may have to raise the Corevoltage on the CPU as well if it locks up. You should be able to do this with jumpers on your MB. Only try this as a last resort as increased voltage results in increased heat and try small steps at a time. A sure way to check if your system is stable is to run Quake2 och Quake3 because they seem to lock instantly if there is any CPU problem.

Feel free to mail me directly if there are any further problems:

[email protected]

/GM

What mobo do you have?

I have an intel AL440LX mobo and you may help me to change the multiplier.

u have the unlock P1 200MMX? ........know a way to unlock the locked 200mmx? mine cant accept 3.5X

Back