• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning to build new PC; need advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Inureface

Hey everyone!

I am planning to build a new PC from scratch (and a few salvaged components) between spring break and summertime 2008. I have a good bit of computer experience (software and networking), but not in the hardware category. The most I've done was replace my video card and install new RAM. I've been lurking here and overclock.net for a while now, and I've done alot of reading. I plan to overclock my new rig sometime down the road, when it is lagging in the modern games, but not to the point of volt modding. Basically I just want to make a rig that'll last for about 3 years before either a major upgrade or salvaging usable stuff for a new self-made PC.

With that in mind, I want to keep the cost of this self made PC under $1300 if possible, considering that I'll be salvaging many old components. I'll be bringing over my:

• Visiontek ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro 512MB DDR2 PCI-E
  • 19" 4:3 Flat Panel
  • My dual channel 2GB DDR2 RAM from Kingston (I don't know the timings and I think its latency is 200mhz? I will check later
  • I also had a dual channel 512MB DDR? OEM RAM from my current HP m1095c, but I am not sure if that would bottleneck stuff. I have it installed along with my 2gb, and I am wondering if it is bottlenecking me in any way.
  • Possibly my DVD-RW 8x since I don't really run or burn stuff from my optical drives.
  • Mouse, keyboard, and speakers - but I'll get better ones later

I realize my graphics card and ram will be the weakest links in my system. The graphics card I only paid $100 for, so no problem, but I can't help but feel I got screwed on the RAM. I bought it about 8 months ago. Should I go ahead and ditch that RAM or keep it? Also for the video card, would I be better off waiting a bit then upgrading, or just buying a second one for also $100 and linking them by Crossfire?

Alright, with all the old stuff out of the way, now I have trouble deciding what my new components will be. I want the system to be expandable, in case I have no money after 3 years :bang head and am forced to upgrade. So, another list :bday:

• What mainboard should I get? I really have no idea here, all I know is that I want it to have 2 PCI-E x16 slots and for it to be overclocker friendly. Also expandable =p
  • CPU - I'm pretty sure I'll go with Intel since they haven't let me down, but should I invest in quadcore or dualcore? Plus would my decision affect my motherboard's compatability with future CPUs?
  • Graphics card - either an identical one set up in crossfire or a new ATI card that will last for the rest of the system's life
  • Sound - I didn't really think about it, but I have been using my onboard sound for a while without problems, so do I even need a dedicated soundcard?
  • RAM - Should I upgrade on top of my 2GB dual channel, or go ahead and buy new sticks?
  • Hard Drive - I read a bunch of crap about how higher RPM doesn't necessarily translate into faster speeds (specifically for loading times in games). Right now I have a 180GB 7200RPM drive, but I doubt it really spins at that speed. Anything 200GB+ and faster than that is fine with me. Oh yeah, and not have a tendency to break down. I know HDs are volatile, but 3 years is NOT much to ask for, especially since I have old computers with 10 year old harddrives that still work lol.
  • PSU - I have no idea but definitely more than needed so I have wiggle room in the future - around 700W-800W?
  • Cooling - I plan to overclock CPU and GFX and maybe even RAM as far as I can without volt modding or anything other than increasing the cooling. I wouldn't mind trying out liquid cooling, but only if it is necessary. If I do get it, I want it to be internal, because I'll be moving this PC around about every few months and don't want this bulky thing outside. Also, would water cooling hinder the upgradeability of my CPU? I saw all these funky CPU blocks and wasn't too sure how that'd work if I changed it. I would prefer air cooling just because it is simpler, but we'll see.
  • Case - Big enough so that I could fit a water cooling kit inside and have room for giant fans if I don't go water cooling. ATX or whatever, and I would like it to have a clear side panel & maybe some lights so it can look kickass =p

There is my basic idea, if you guys could give me suggestions for the parts, I'd really appreciate it. This would be my first time ever doing this, but it'd be a nice challenge, plus I'm tired of dealing with crappy OEM hardware and want to make sure I don't sacrifice quality for an equivalent, but self made system!

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:
You need some DDR2 800. Id get the Intel 6600 quad core CPU. It is quite literally the best CPU around for the buck. PSU. Id get a corsair 620 watt. No going wrong there. The case depends o n your budget really. Id look into the Antec or Coolmaster brand towers for something pretty durable. You should invest into a couple of SATA drives and raid 0 them for some good performance. You can use your other drive as back up. Your video card is alright. I wouldnt do crossfire or SLI at the current time. If you must go with ATI their 3850/3870 cards are the best bang for the dollar on their end of the wagon. Im not really good with motherboards since newer better ones are almost out weekly now and the same with CPU cooling too.

Alright, so I definitely need to replace the RAM. I will look more into mobos and cooling now then. If anyone else has suggestions please post because I am still kinda blind lol. Thank you two for your help though!

Back