• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Play N64 on monitor via PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
I have my N64 equipped with an S-Video cable now, but the only place I can play it is on the living room TV since it supports S-Video. Then the issue becomes the cable lengths. Every cable is just too short to sit on the couch.

So I have this idea that I could build a retro gaming PC that will let me plug my N64 into said PC and let me play on my monitor. Essentially the PC is a converter, S-Video -> VGA.

I'd like to do another Pentium III build, but coppermine this time.. I just don't know what addon card will let me do what I want with the N64?
A TV tuner card or something?

Thanks!! :thup:

unless youre doing speed runs, just emulate imo. That or run a capture card, I dunno

unless youre doing speed runs, just emulate imo. That or run a capture card, I dunno

A capture card would let me "stream" to my monitor wouldn't it?

Not sure why i didnt think of those cards!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CQ...40_QL65&keywords=Video+capture+card+++diamond

There are definitely better solutions out there but none as cheap :D I used a similar card for some vhs transfers and it worked OK. By OK I mean plenty of problems that were finally solved by modern hardware (first try was on a 1ghz single core Pentium) and manually selecting the correct driver for . Mine was a different brand though so YMMV. I even had it hooked to an RCA switch for a while so I could stick the DVD player on there as well.

It all depends on your budget and patience with those things. Personally I'd say +1 to emulation, but I e of those cheapie cards should let you play at least

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CQ...40_QL65&keywords=Video+capture+card+++diamond

There are definitely better solutions out there but none as cheap :D I used a similar card for some vhs transfers and it worked OK. By OK I mean plenty of problems that were finally solved by modern hardware (first try was on a 1ghz single core Pentium) and manually selecting the correct driver for . Mine was a different brand though so YMMV. I even had it hooked to an RCA switch for a while so I could stick the DVD player on there as well.

It all depends on your budget and patience with those things. Personally I'd say +1 to emulation, but I e of those cheapie cards should let you play at least
Hmmm that's what I'm getting by reading threads and reviews... You really do get what you pay for. A really good capture device is usually more than $100....

Of course emulation is an option, but where's the fun in that? :D

This would work; it's not what I was looking to do since I'd have to swap VGA cables If I wanted to use another PC with VGA, but I think a good splitter cable can get around this no?

I honestly wasn't expecting these types of cards/devices to cost this much!

The converter has VGA passthrough. I don't think the USB adapter will work well enough for gaming, since those are normally used for archival where latency doesn't matter.

The converter has VGA passthrough. I don't think the USB adapter will work well enough for gaming, since those are normally used for archival where latency doesn't matter.
I read some poor reviews on 'em too.

I bought the one you linked too just a few hours ago.

The next step up from that was a Portta brand converter, but I actually found a review on Amazon from someone looking to do exactly as I want, and that Portta gave him lines all throught the picture. After that, it's $70 for a SYMBA brand one that looks nice and has audio capabilities built in.

Back