• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please comment on my silent build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blade007

Budget: Under $1000
For: Casual Gaming, Work, General, Some OC

Current Silent Build:
PSU: Enermax EMD425AWT MODU82+ 425W
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P Ultra Silent CPU Cooler
Vid Card: 8800gt w/ Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 + Turbo Fans
Case: Antec P180 Mini (Want a small black good looking quiet case, still unsure of the P180 Mini)
Mobo:ASUS P5K-VM mATX
Hard Drive: Seagate 500GB 7200.11
RAM: 4x Crucial Rendition 1GB 1X1GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667 240PIN DIMM Memory
Disc Drive: Pioneer DVR-215DBK

Let me know what you guys think, comments, suggestions..

Last edited:
Why bother with 4x1GB of DDR2-667? 2x2GB of 800mhz stuff isn't that expensive, and you'll have headroom to do a little OCing..

Why bother with 4x1GB of DDR2-667? 2x2GB of 800mhz stuff isn't that expensive, and you'll have headroom to do a little OCing..

Ditto. Go with 2x2gb of DDR800. Corsair, OCZ, etc are all decent. And a 2x2gb kit should be cheaper or pretty much even with the 4x1gb sticks.

I'd say go for a larger wattage PSU with a 120mm temperature controlled fan. Antec PSUs would fit the bill and would run dead quiet and almost completely cold if you balance your power consumption right. I'm not a big fan of enermax as anything other than something to power the fan array I used to have on my desk :)

EDIT: Out of curiosity what type of budget are you looking at and what do you want your computer to do?

I'd say go for a larger wattage PSU with a 120mm temperature controlled fan. Antec PSUs would fit the bill and would run dead quiet and almost completely cold if you balance your power consumption right. I'm not a big fan of enermax as anything other than something to power the fan array I used to have on my desk :)

EDIT: Out of curiosity what type of budget are you looking at and what do you want your computer to do?

according to this, my wattage power should be find..
http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140&p=13

Budget: Under $1000
For: Casual Gaming, Work, General, Some OC

do you know where I can get them for under $50? cause i can get those 4x1GB sticks for under $50

do you know where I can get them for under $50? cause i can get those 4x1GB sticks for under $50

The issue is your CPU runs a 333 stock fsb, and that memory will run 333 at 1:1 settings. Spending the few extra bucks for the 400mhz RAM will give you room to OC the processor without having to hope the memory can run faster than rated speeds.

The issue is your CPU runs a 333 stock fsb, and that memory will run 333 at 1:1 settings. Spending the few extra bucks for the 400mhz RAM will give you room to OC the processor without having to hope the memory can run faster than rated speeds.

wouldn't i be find if i just OC the RAM, they are 667Mhz

Back