• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PLEASE HELP! I think my GPU core is physically eroding!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xdrive

Since I just recently got my MSI 6800GT, I decided it was safe to take apart my 8 month old XFX 6600GT AGP to put AC5 on the core. I finally managed to get the HSF off, and to my suprise the core itself appears to be physically deteriorating!

Two corners of the core are turned gray and are eroded down into the core itself. I don't have a digital camera to take picks, but I found another core pic online and photoshopped it to show you about what it looks like. The yellow circles contain the damaged areas that I painted gray in this pic to look like it does on my core.

Here's the deal, my XFX ran hot. Very hot. It wasn't unusual for it to run in the 80's(C) and even the lower 90's(C) at load sometimes. Could this be physical damage from the heat? Is that even possible like this? About a month ago I started getting a lot of issues with my videocard turning the screen green and yellow randomly. Could this be the cause?

I greatly appreciate any help and replies!

PS: I can see it's NOT dust. Those corners of the core are litterally eroded away. (they don't come to a point like the other two corners)

Attachments

• xfx6600gt core.jpg
    xfx6600gt core.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 771
What you are seeing is that you chipped the core because of a poor mounting / not being careful with the GPU slug. Frankly its a wonder it even works still

Sentential said:
What you are seeing is that you chipped the core because of a poor mounting / not being careful with the GPU slug. Frankly its a wonder it even works still

No, I didn't mount the core myself. That's the way it came from the factory. Just now, after all this time, I decided to actually take the stock HSF off for the first time ever, only to find that.

I cleaned all the goup off with Isopropal Alcohol so I know it's not goup. The core is definitely chipped though. Or burnt.

Also, you can see (on the copper of the HSF itself) small spots in the same position as the corners of the core. That's what makes me wonder if it was burned somehow, it showing on the HSF as well and all.

Xdrive said:
No, I didn't mount the core myself. That's the way it came from the factory. Just now, after all this time, I decided to actually take the stock HSF off for the first time ever, only to find that.

I cleaned all the goup off with Isopropal Alcohol so I know it's not goup. The core is definitely chipped though. Or burnt.

Also, you can see (on the copper of the HSF itself) small spots in the same position as the corners of the core. That's what makes me wonder if it was burned somehow, it showing on the HSF as well and all.

we know you didnt mount the core, nvidia does that ;), it could have happened when you were taking the HS off :/

DDR-PIII said:
we know you didnt mount the core, nvidia does that ;), it could have happened when you were taking the HS off :/

Wow I hope that didn't happen.

I didn't have any problems getting it off and I didn't hear any crunches or see anything come out of it that looked like pieces of core.

:shrug:

Anyways, I went ahead and added the AC5 to both the core and the bridge chip and that seems to have gained be a good 8-12c in temps. I can't seem to get it any hotter than 75c when it used to always go to the upper 80's.

I guess as long as it works fine I shouldn't worry about that horrible chipping.

Xdrive said:
If thats true send it back for another card because chipped cores rarely last more than a couple months

75 C is about what you would expect on stock cooling. My 6800GT ran at about the same temperature. Regarding the "chipped" core, you should try cleaning off that white stuff with isopropanol and check for physical indentations/cracks. From your pic, it looks like the stock thermal compound fused to the core. The stock thermal paste is garbage anyway. Are you seeing any artifacts?

As you can imagine in the process of developing heatsinks/waterblocks, I too have chipped a number of cores with no ill effect! Two of my most heavily abused 6600GT and 6800GT boards have all four corners damaged, along with the HSI bridge chip damaged, yet they continue working without event, at very high overclocks none the less.
This leads to me to wonder if the topmost layer of the chip isn't a superficial boundary layer to add a measure of protection to the interior transistors? Who knows, but I'm grateful nonetheless. :)

consumer9000 said:
As you can imagine in the process of developing heatsinks/waterblocks, I too have chipped a number of cores with no ill effect! Two of my most heavily abused 6600GT and 6800GT boards have all four corners damaged, along with the HSI bridge chip damaged, yet they continue working without event, at very high overclocks none the less.
This leads to me to wonder if the topmost layer of the chip isn't a superficial boundary layer to add a measure of protection to the interior transistors? Who knows, but I'm grateful nonetheless. :)

Same here, friend!

Now I'm about half afraid to take the HSF off of my MSI 6800GT to reseat it and add AC5. Don't want to chip that sucker!

So what actually caused them to chip? Is it when the surface of the heatsink is pressed too hard against the core at an angle? Any tips on how to do it withouth chipping?

Thanks. :)

Xdrive said:
Same here, friend!

Now I'm about half afraid to take the HSF off of my MSI 6800GT to reseat it and add AC5. Don't want to chip that sucker!

So what actually caused them to chip? Is it when the surface of the heatsink is pressed too hard against the core at an angle? Any tips on how to do it withouth chipping?

Thanks. :)

Hey man, I have the same card, I've reseated it more times than I can count, with no problems. Just take care, and remeber that tighter isnt better with a HSF assembly.

Take your time, loosen/tighten the screws evenly, and go for it.

Good luck.

Back