• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jarlaxe

Disabled
Hey guys, I am need of changing my agp aperature size, but my BIOS is apparently locked by manufacturer, so i don't even get to see the option. Is there any way to unlock it, or do it throught windows? Please help lol, before i throw the comp out the window in frustration. BTW its a P4 1.6 system.

I almost through my computer out the window once. Course that was a long time ago.

Anyway, it depends what you mean by "locked". If the problem is a password (go into BIOS and it asks you for a password to proceed) then flush the BIOS settings by opening your case, locating the BIOS Jumper (look on the manual to find where this is to), unplug the computer, short pins 2-3 for a few seconds, then change the jumper back to its original setting (pins 1-2), plug the computer back in, and the BIOS should load default settings allowing you access. Alternately, remove the battery (you'll see it, it looks like a watch battery). EDIT: You must replace the battery a few seconds later.

If this fails, there are a number of good utilities to change all manner of BIOS settings through windows.

Daniel

AGP Aperature size

The problem is not a password at all. Its that i can't even see the option in bios for aperature size. I want to change it because its at 64 and I heard that if i set it to 128 i will get faster gameplay, because more system resources will be devoted to the graphics. Does anyone know a utility I can use. BTW I have a Sony Vaio RX-551 if anyone needs the info. Any help at all will be appreciated.

Chances are with something like a Sony PC, you've got a very feature limited BIOS. One of the reasons brand name PC builders offer warranties is because they know you can't screw around with their plain jane vanilla BIOS setups.

Chances are you won't be able to change it at all. IIRC the performance gains from changing the apeture size vary based on card, video memory, etc. Depending on the card you have, you probably won't even see much of an improvement.

If the BIOS does not supply the option for increasing AGP Aperture size then I doubt there is anything you can do without replacing the BIOS... which is bound to cause more trouble than its worth and possibly render your board totally useless.

Well thats settled..

Oh well, i'm currently building a new comp anyways, the sony is going to be my Library for MP3s. The hell with manufactured computers, at least it ran for 4 years without problems. Now i'm getting an Athlon64 3400, Radeon 9800Xt, 1024 Corsair XMS, and a 774 gig raptor drive. All i can say is that it better run Doom3 flawlessly lol

Back