• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dcard1869

Registered
I installed W7 Home Premium on my bro's desktop pc (HP Pavilion a6600f)and it went online no problem on my internet, but when I brought it to his place, it wont connect to internet. I spent hours on phone trying things with Charter to get it to go online and it wont. The Charter internet techs have been to his house 3 times and the same results as I:The techs laptops and my laptop will go online using Ethernet no problem with same W7 OS. He doesn't have router, just internet modem, so no wifi. I have no idea what would cause this.I even did another fresh install of OS and had his Ethernet cable plugged and it didn't read it. Is his built in LAN going? Or that part of mobo? Do you think a LAN card would solve this problem?

I am going to try drivers next. Static IP? Never had a problem with that so Im not sure what that is. If drivers don't work, I was going to try a LAN card. You guys are the experts. Im moderately at best pc user.

go to START>RUN now type CMD and ENTER key. now type IPCONFIG /RELEASE, wait 10 seconds, then type IPCONFIG /RENEW then wait a few minutes. See if that works.

if it does not work, then go back to the command prompt and type PING 127.0.0.1, post the results here, then type IPCONFIG /ALL and post what you get.

Last edited:
Will do. Going to try at bro's ASAP. Will let you know results. Thank You very much.

ping stats for 127.0.0.1 are : Reply from 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 127.0.0.1:bytes=32 time<1ms TTL 128 four times....ping stats for 127.0.0.1 packets sent=4 received=4, lost=0 <0% loss> approximate round trip times in milliseconds: min_0ms, max=0ms, average=0ms

ok, your ping results are good, so your IP stack is up and running properly. try doing ipconfig and post the results.

Windows ip config
host name home pc
primary dns suffix (blank)
node type;hybrid
ip routing enabled:no
WINS Proxy enabled;no
Ethernet adapter LAC;
connection specific DNS suffix; (blank)
description;NVIDIA nForce networking controller
physical address;00-22-68-04-84-DE
DHCP Enabled;yes
autoconfiguration enbled;yes
link-local IPv6 fe80::4db5:34c0:ff86:9ecf%12<preferred>
autoconfig IPv4 address;169.254.158.207<preffered>
subnet mask;255.255.0.0
default gateway; (blank)
DHCPv6IAID;
DHCPv6 CLIENT DUID;00-01-00-01-1A-08-95-61-00-DE
DNS Servers;fec0:0:0:0:ffff::1&1
1&2
3&1
NetBIOS over tcpip;enabled
tunnel adapter isatap
media state ;media disconnected
connection specific DNS ;(blank)
description;microsoft isatap adapter
physical address ; 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
dhcp enabled ; no
autoconfig;yes

hope this helps...im still stumped

if the firewall isnt blocking it and the dhcp isnt broken; then it sounds like the NIC is done for.

but internet works fine at my house. no problems at all. arris cable modem and hp pavilion a6600f. This pc doesn't like that cable modem and its second one supplied by charter cable.

I had a similar problem only it was through a router. I could connect wirelessly or through Ethernet through the router but never through a direct Ethernet connection. I even had an ip address with a direct Ethernet connection.

Comcast never figured out the problem and I still to this day have no idea why this is so. They've been to my house over 5 times and spent countless hours on the phone with me and never got anywhere.

My advice to you would be to get a good cheap router. Especially if you're considering a LAN card. Here's a good cheap one here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166072

Rosewill has a $25 version if that's to expensive but I personally use that one and have had zero problems connecting to the internet and keep my full 100mb/s connection.

and you SHOULD be able to get an Ethernet connection from there. If not, you will with wireless.

Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated. I even had my desktop on his modem and it worked without router, but his didn't. I plugged my router into his modem and his pc and went online instantly. Kudos to you and everyone at overclockers.com. That was the strangest problem ive ever seen in 10 years of having pc's. Thanks again, NEOSTAR.

Back