• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please tell if this is a stupid idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

streetsports

Registered
Hello. I was wondering if it would be bad to install a radiator in every possible location of a case?

My build is

I7 4770k (delidded)(heat killer rev3.0 copper block...I mite naked mount it)
Asus z87 pro mobo
16gb 2133 corsair
Sli super clocked evga gtx 780 ti's (ek full blocks ran in parallel)
Rm1000 PSU
120gb evo ssd (os + APS)
500gb evo ssd (games)
3tb HDD (movies)
1.5tb HDD (3d movies)
1tb external (backup)

All of the water blocks and other cooling supplies will be here Wednesday and they include.

The 3 blocks listed above
240 (30mm) rad
280 (60mm) rad
Mcp655 pump
250mm res
Koolance pump top
Evga ti backplates
Plus all of the odds n ends

Now I'm removing the 5.25 disk drive bay so the define r4 will be completely bayless and that frees up enough space for a 3rd rad spot in the top. So I could do a 360 insteadvof the 240 with a little bit of hole drilling.

I also still have a spot for a single 120 and a single 140

Should I stuff as many rads as possible in it or stick with the 280+240 loop?

IMG_20140314_173915.jpg

IMG_20140307_221521.jpg

Here are the updated pics.

IMG_20140408_221959.jpg

IMG_20140408_222159.jpg

IMG_20140408_222243.jpg

IMG_20140408_222118.jpg

IMG_20140409_002856.jpg

Last edited:
Hi StreetSports! Firstly and foremostly, welcome to the forums.

I am a believer in overkill. Radiator surface area you can never have too much of. This always for proper dissipation and the option to add hardware to the loop later.

Build to your discretion always. If you have a gut feeling you need more rad, go with it!

if you have the space and money go for it.
I am an overkill kind of guy also, if i think that's enough rad, throw some more in it.
it makes it quieter due to lower fan speeds.

I'm with Shrimp and C/D more rads = less noise, if you have the money then do it if you feel you need it. the reality is of you're going to overclock the 4770k they run hot, even though you de-lidded it you may find that a 280 and a 240 slim isn't enough for the Cpu and 2 780's.

Thanks for the fast responses...and it all sounds good to me ...yes has well is like the surface of the sun past 1.35v...I was able to hold 4.6 even with the crappy h100i but ran hot at load

I posted a couple pics of my setup as it sits right now.

I have the heatsinks off of the ram for clearance but am probably getting the koolance copper sinks (non water)...they sit super low.

BTW this is my very first build started about a month ago (an extreme tech/hobby guy though) so feel free to tell me if I'm making a mistake in any way.

Last edited:
Just ordered an alpha cool 60mm 140rad and an alpha cool 30mm 140rad....so I'll have the 60mm 280 in front, the 60mm 140 and 30mm 240 in top plus the 30mm 140 in the rear lot....all alphacool radiators. I wonder how much coolant ill need.

I'm a mandrel bender by trade so eventually I'll redo this all with 1/2 copper tube

Last edited:
Copper looks nice but I when changing components it may be a royal pita, just food for thought.

What do you mean? I know to stay away from aluminum...I think everything is copper ATM. Noob here.

Will the blocks need lapped each time or something?

EDIT...Now I get what you're saying...if I change or add something I'll have to bend more tube.

Last edited:
Yes, I figured I would just point out, if ever, you need to take the components out. Such as putting in new graphics cards or a new cpu, it's just a but tougher when the tubes don't bend much and you need to disconnect every thing.

Make sure you have a drain for the system, that will help a bit.

Welcome to OCFs and congrats on your new water cooling rig.

Have you added liquid to the loop as I can't tell through the clear tubing. It looks dry to me.

Also, some of your images have broken links to them.

Now I am seeing them. Holy OCs on those GPUs. You got some really good ones there.

Thanks. There is liquid in the loop but its UV blue which isn't so great...

The cards love the oc for sure...a lot of that is just GPU boost 2.0 though...I freaked out and reached for the power button the first time I saw it shoot up to 1400 lol...I have the actual oc @ only 1150 or so with the 75mv bump...I was amazed that I could go so high on the memory more than the core.

I'll have a new update in a week or so...it involves a 900d mwahaha

Unless you're pushing 317gph....I guess I mite gain 1c on the temp but also gain some oc room. Also the heatkiller is king of coolers ATM.

Never mind I read you Sig...are you the local troll in this kneck of the woods?

Unless you're pushing 317gph....I guess I mite gain 1c on the temp but also gain some oc room. Also the heatkiller is king of coolers ATM.

Never mind I read you Sig...are you the local troll in this kneck of the woods?

:facepalm: Not a good way to start OP.

He's right, that setup is a flowkiller and not needed as you shouldn't take it personal. Its only for looks but to each their own.

Back