• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plugging in a disk with windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exteez

I'm currently troubleshooting my PC. I'm wondering if I plug a disk with windows 7(Currently I've got windows 10) and completely different drivers, will my PC automatically change them for my PC. Then if I plug it back, will it change it back to how it was? or do I need to do anything?

Cheers

It might or might not work. It'll have a good job booting, and disk driver is the hurdle to overcome. Generic SATA or AHCI has a good chance. Raid, less so. You might also become stuck without USB3 drivers if they're very different. Older hardware with USB2 could get away with it. Basically... it'll be messy, but doable.

I use it as a way to get Win7 installed on Ryzen hardware, clone an Intel system with it already, and hope for the best!

Unfortunately it didn't work :/ I'd have to format the disk because of the drivers already there for other specs

Unfortunately it didn't work :/ I'd have to format the disk because of the drivers already there for other specs
Is there a reason you need to test with Windows? What about a Linux live USB? You can't pinpoint with Linux and then move back to Windows.

Are you trying to setup a dual boot system? If so, you need to have Win 7 installed 1st then install Win 10 2nd (older to newer OS) other than that I'm not sure what your asking.

Back