• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poll: Upgrade or replace? Unique situation for me.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Replace or Upgrade?

• Switch over to team red with a R7-2700x (8c/16t)?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've had Zen, Zen+, and i7-8700K setups over the past several years. While all were/are fine, the 5 GHz 6C/12T i7-8700K was the best performer for me as 8C/16T is overkill for my needs and the 6C/12T Ryzens are close to 1 GHz slower with similar IPC. Zen 2 is almost here, but since it's a significant architecture change you just have to hope AMD doesn't fumble the launch with early adopter issues. It took about 6 months for the original Ryzen CPUs and motherboards to get sorted out.

I would go for a Zen2 but the iTX format is typically released later than sooner so you might be waiting 2-3 months. Or just get a real board LoL

I know that ASRock will release 3 X570 mobos just after premiere. 2x full ATX and 1x ITX. I guess there won't be any delay as I know that samples were already delivered to marketing departments around the world but all wait on the CPU premiere.

ITX? I assume you're putting it in a small case then. More reason to upgrade from the 3600x to the 3700x or downgrade to the 3600. The 3600 and 3700x have a lower TDP.

Yes, If I go with Ryzen Gen 2 it would be the R5 3600x. Core count, price, and TDP are ideal.

EDIT: More cores/threads than the i7-8700k with better(projected) IPC, lower price and same TDP.

I think Tech Jesus at Gamers Nexus mentioned that ITX boards won't be suffering the delay previous AM4 chipsets did. Apparently the mobo manufacturers have reached a point of confidence in sales projections and will be treating it like an Intel in that regard. I believe it was one of the videos he did from Computex.

Back