• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poll: Upgrade to 11 or keep 10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you do the free Windows 11 update or keep Windows 10?

• Update to Windows 11

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Heck no...I keep Windows 10

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • I keep Linux...

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • My Chromebook updates itself

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dfonda

Senior Golfer
I finally got the message to update to Windows 11...I skipped it. I usually update but not this time. If your system meets the requirements what is your choice?

I would just as soon not have any programs stop working.

I'm sticking with 10 for a while longer, let MS figure out what they're doing with 11 first.

I've been on it since the insider days. IMO, there are few reasons to wait to upgrade to it. There are no major bugs... it just takes getting used to (where things are, etc). It's been out for months now with several updates and a couple of major ones.

Do it....especially if you're running Alder Lake CPUs... you'd be foolish not to as W10 isn't optimized for Alder Lake and shows some sharp performance losses in SOME tests (overall it's performant). In short, if you've got a 12-series CPU, you need to be on W11 to get the most out of your system 100% of the time.

I would just as soon not have any programs stop working.
If you're concerned (I wouldn't be), maybe spin up W11 on another drive and see. ;)

I've been on it since the insider days. IMO, there are few reasons to wait to upgrade to it. There are no major bugs... it just takes getting used to (where things are, etc). It's been out for months now with several updates and a couple of major ones.

Do it....especially if you're running Alder Lake CPUs... you'd be foolish not to as W10 isn't optimized for Alder Lake and shows some sharp performance losses in SOME tests (overall it's performant). In short, if you've got a 12-series CPU, you need to be on W11 to get the most out of your system 100% of the time.

If you're concerned (I wouldn't be), maybe spin up W11 on another drive and see. ;)
How do you have time for this??:p

I just got TW Golf working on Windows 10...So I already know at least one program will be an issue...So unless it helps f@h...

Depends on what do you need or what you do on your PC. I had to change my daily PC and reinstall OS so I went with Win11. Generally, it's like Win10 after some additional (sometimes useless) updates.
There are no significant problems and since the release, there were multiple big updates so everything should work fine. At least I don't know anyone who is complaining.

I just got TW Golf working on Windows 10...So I already know at least one program will be an issue...So unless it helps f@h...
Uhhh, ditch TW and get PGA 2K21.... All the nostalgia, and better all around. I used to grtind TW golf back in the day and happily moved on when that was released. Buy it and we can play...!!

I'd rather buy golf and upgrade than be 'forced' to run Alder Lake on W10. :)

WFH + (what I imagine to be)ADHD = this. :rofl:

I've been on 11 since it came out. One morning I booted my rig ( I don't have the pc go into sleep mode) and I noticed there were shorcut icons pinned in the center of my taskbar which I found odd. I then realized the rig updated itself to 11. I tried to move the new start button to the left, but I already have the original there so they overlap eachother.

Figured just to leave it be back at the center of the taskbar and keep using the original one on the left as I always have. Aside of this, 11 isn't all that much different than 10 and have no other issues. Runs fine.

Weird about the overlap. Surely a fresh W11 would resolve that issue...so would uninstalling any software used to move that to the left in the first place? I think W11 has options built in to move it left(?) already.

Uhhh, ditch TW and get PGA 2K21.... All the nostalgia, and better all around. I used to grtind TW golf back in the day and happily moved on when that was released. Buy it and we can play...!!

I'd rather buy golf and upgrade than be 'forced' to run Alder Lake on W10. :)

WFH + (what I imagine to be)ADHD = this. :rofl:
I can play TW and it has virtually no effect on fah...PGA 2K21 does...Also I am good with TW , terrible with 2K21 tho I have been meaning to play again...I mean a Golf game without Tiger is like the NBA without Dr J....It's not the same. I have hard time playing online , my wife interrupts me too much (I am her caregiver, so not annoying wife stuff, quality of life stuff)

I have been using the PS4 with Everybody's Golf that's been fun (and only $10) also no effect on fah. I would have been out on the course tomorrow if it hadn't snowed 6"...:cry:

Everything I do on PC hinges upon fah it seems

Hmm, I was using classic shell for years, but then after the last update of win10, I removed it because of compatibility issues and classic shell people stopped updating it. Aside of this, I have no other software that changes the location of said icon(s).

When I do move the center pinned shortcuts to the left, they still overlap and you can see both icons. I tried to find why it was doing that, but found no answer to my specific problem. I moved the new icon back to the center and left it alone. I still use the one on the left. I'll do a clean install when I get a new M.2 drive as I've had major issues using any cloning softwares.

Still on 10 for the foreseeable future. I have a TPM/virtual tpm on my x570 board, but enabling it stops my existing windows from booting. So until I plan to do a fresh install I'll be on 10.

Windows 11 is barely different, like I said in a previous topic about this its like Windows 95 to Windows 98 or Windows 2000 to Windows XP or Windows Vista to Windows 7. The right click "power user" menu is a little annoying and I probably will change it back at some point, and the xbox app is probably the worst piece of software I have ever seen, but other than that I've had 0 issues.

Windows 11 is barely different, like I said in a previous topic about this its like Windows 95 to Windows 98 or Windows 2000 to Windows XP or Windows Vista to Windows 7. The right click "power user" menu is a little annoying and I probably will change it back at some point, and the xbox app is probably the worst piece of software I have ever seen, but other than that I've had 0 issues.

There are not many differences, but each large update is changing something. I heard they want to change menus and the control panel to replace the old one (which is since vista with not so big changes). Right now, when you want to move to some settings, then it's switching between new and old windows. Somehow, you can't do some things without the old control panel, so I hope they won't lock some options.
All issues I was reporting just after the Win11 official release were fixed or missing things were added. I guess that many other users were reporting the same.

We have to remember that Microsoft will release most updates for Win11 right now, and Win10 can be skipped when adding anything new (unless it's a critical security issue). New hardware will be optimized for Win11, so eventually, we will be forced to move. Win10 wasn't perfect and the same story was when people were moving from Win7 to Win10.

I just see it like when you don't need anything new from the new OS, then stay with Win10. If you install a fresh OS, then better already install Win11. If you get a new PC then install Win11.

I just see it like when you don't need anything new from the new OS, then stay with Win10. If you install a fresh OS, then better already install Win11. If you get a new PC then install Win11.
...or If you have Alder Lake, period. While the performance hits are only in a few things, when you run into them, it's significant.
@Dave, yes you do know me well! Hey, I'm crushin' this poll, got 9.1%....:cool:
I wonder is he's aware he 'beckoned' a completely different member.... lol. First names don't work, you have to use forum handles. :)

I know. Just saying first names, like, @Tim won't work... or.... it won't call the right forum member anyway! :rofl:

Back