• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poor performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ostris

Registered
I upgraded my comp recently and I'm not sure if im getting the performance that I should be. I can barely run bf2. I constantly get problems with performance in sc2. Most performance isues is low fps. Things just seem to take a long time to load. Anyway I just looking for opinions. As a side not it doesnt seem to matter if I lower game settings I still have performance issues.

Proc: Intel I7 920 not overclocked
Mobo: Evga x58 SLI LE
Graphics Card:EVGA GTX 280 Superclocked
HDD: 2x80g Raptors in raid 0
RAM:6 gigs @ 1000mhz
PSU:750 Watt

Running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Also not that the windows experience index is anything to go by but it rates my proc at a 3.9 which is just..not right.

Anyway any suggestions or info would be nice. Ill gladly post any other info if requested.

You really want to overclock your CPU. 2.66GHz just isn't really enough to play the latest games.

What gets the score of 3.9? You should ignore those numbers but it does give you a slight indication into what your weakest part is.

And final question: What PSU do you actually have? I'm guessing this was shop brought? Will dictate if you can overclock or not :thup:

You really want to overclock your CPU. 2.66GHz just isn't really enough to play the latest games.

What gets the score of 3.9? You should ignore those numbers but it does give you a slight indication into what your weakest part is.

And final question: What PSU do you actually have? I'm guessing this was shop brought? Will dictate if you can overclock or not :thup:

Not store bought. The i7 gets the score of 3.9.

Ultra X-Pro ULT40029 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, Dual 80mm Fans, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, Active PFC, Black

Alright, you'll have to overclock your CPU.

The 280 is a fairly decent card but you'll need about 3.2GHz if not more out of that i7 to use its potential.

Not sure about that PSU though, can't find many reviews on it. I have a feeling that it will destroy your CPU fairly quickly and in any case I would probably recommend you upgrade to a Corsair or similar.

ya like tiny sad, winindex numbers can be used to locate week parts
go for the overclock
heres how mine are, in swedish but same numbers
winindex.jpg

I would check something than just overclocking the CPU. Are you getting stutter when gaming or just low FPS in general?

i7 920 getting windows rating of 3.9? Something is seriously screwed up!
It could be that you did not put HSF properly and processor is throttled in order not to overheat (check the temps!). It can also be that somehow you've screwed up setting in the BIOS and running severely underclocked.

I've seen that happen too cyberkost. I just find it odd that it's scoring so low. I know the WEI is a complete synthetic benchmark, it does show if something isn't running right, such as this instance.

I would also check that it's not being throttled as well. Such as heat throttling or improper BIOS settings.

I've seen that happen too cyberkost. I just find it odd that it's scoring so low. I know the WEI is a complete synthetic benchmark, it does show if something isn't running right, such as this instance.

I would also check that it's not being throttled as well. Such as heat throttling or improper BIOS settings.

Thanks for all the good info guys. Anyone mind helping me out with bios setting to make sure they are all correct. I never really know how to do all that bios stuff.

Also how much overclocking can I do with a stock cpu fan. And if so help with the overclock would be appreciated.

Also it is both stuttering and very low fps.

Again, the first thing before you overclock and burn your CPU is to make sure the HSF is attached properly. You should be able to tell from the temps (plenty of Windows apps that report that, can also check in BIOS under "PC health" or smth. like that). 3.9 CPU is NOT ok for this CPU

Hmm all my cores are sitting at 98c =/ at idle

Last edited:
Doing that now, any chance its just that this stock cpu fan that came with core sucks....I used to run liquid cooling on my cpu but i need a new waterblock when i went from q6600 to i7 =/

ok reseated fan and all that cores are sitting at 50 right now...im running some games and what not to see if temps go up again.

Haha as a side not windows index is now giving it a 7.4, im firing up bad company 2 and see if the temps stay at 40-50

Last edited:
Woohoo 80 fps on bc2...thx guys this problem has been bugging me for so long.

Blimey, 90 degrees? I saw that and just thought "ouch, that chip's not going to have a good life" :p

Glad to hear you've gotten it sorted, probably should have thought about that feature!

Back