• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Port Forwarding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T.J

Registered
I'm trying to host a game online called Minecraft. I've done it once but at a different house with a different network setup. I stopped messing with Port Forwarding and hosting for a while now, so I'm a bit rusty at what I did last time. I'm back home and can't get the game to host. My question is, when wanting to Port Forwarding the game, do I have to set up the Port Forwarding in the first router on the network or the router my PC is connected to?

Network:
Modem > Linksys Router > Belkin Router > My PC

Do you have a NAT behind a NAT or is the second "router" actually a switch? If it is the first, disable NAT on the second router (make it a switch) and then forward the ports from the first router to your computer. If it is the second, simply forward the ports from the first router to your computer.

For a home network, there is no reason to have two actual routers, one behind the other.

Do you have a NAT behind a NAT or is the second "router" actually a switch? If it is the first, disable NAT on the second router (make it a switch) and then forward the ports from the first router to your computer. If it is the second, simply forward the ports from the first router to your computer.

Both routers are set up as routers. I'm not 100% sure on how to change it from a router to a switch.

Would it be better to do the port forwarding to the first and disable the second router or go through the second router?

Making the second router a switch is going to be far easier than trying to work around it. Look in the manual or online to see if you can find the option.

Let me get this right, making the second router a switch will be faster and less of a pain to get it all done. I can do the port forwarding to the Linksys router and it will will connect to my PC as the main IP for the hosting?

You have to forward the ports to your computer on the Linksys.

Okay, I'm going to try to change the second router to a switch right now, then work on the port forwarding next.

Back