• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible overclocking settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ex0r

I just recently built a machine with the following items:

gigabyte 970A-UD3 motherboard (unlocked)
AMD FX 6100 6 core processor (unlocked)
4x Corsair 4-5-5-15 4gb DDR3 1333 ram
Stock AMD FX Cooler
Thermaltake 650watt PSU

Does anybody have this same motherboard/cpu setup and have a good settings list to get this thing going? The bios for this motherboard has all the options for overclocking already, just not sure what exactly they should be set to, and don't want to set them too high and fry my system right from the get go.

I'm new to overclocking, as i've never had a system worth overclocking, so a little help would be much appreciated!

Welcome to the forums ex0r, you should be a little more specific on your thermal take psu and what case are you using? Though I don't have any experience overclocking a FX 6100 I can say you are going to be limited by the stock cooler. What are your goals with the overclock? Are you planning on just a mild one or are you going to try and push it more aggressively? This will help the people with more knowledge of this cpu guide you. Read the stickies, this will give you some knowledge on the process and the steps you need to take, reguardless of the processor. Also you are going to want to download cpuid
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z/versions-history.html
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor/versions-history.html

as well as prime 95

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

you are going to run prime before you overclock to see what your starting temps are.

By all means, run the Prime95 "just stress testing" blend test for 20 minutes to check CPU socket temps and core temps before you attempt any overclock. Have HWMonitor open on the desktop while you are running this test.

sorry for the late reply, working alot of overtime at work and haven't been able to get online much the last week or so.

I mistaked and gave you the wrong model of power supply. It's a cooler master power supply. Not sure on the exact model # of it, as it's not on the label and I don't have the box anymore. I know it has two 12v rails and is 600watt.

I did some testing yesterday, and it looks like stock, I get about 40 degrees with prime95 running. I went into bios and did some settings changes, one of the was 'CPU clock modifier', or something similar, and I set it to 19x, which put it up to 3800mhz. I ran prime95 again for about 2 hours and it never got over 45 celsius according to the program 'core temp'. I'm not sure what the limits are I can push on this system.

As for the cooling on it, the 6100 edition I have is unlocked and setup for overclocking, so AMD provided a better than normal CPU cooler. It almost looks like an exhaust system with brass pipes coming from the heatsink up to a fan.

As my ram isn't overclockable right now, I can't mess with that, but if anyone has experienced this system before, i'd like to get the system up to about 4ghz, I know it can, because I have heard other people doing it, just not sure what settings they used.

55 C. is the max CoreTemp reading that is typically sort of the "wall" in overclocking AMD CPUs.

How about running the free program CPU-z and attaching pics of these tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". I find it hard to believe your ram will run at 4-5-5-15 timings.

Back